PDA

View Full Version : Second Batch in the Bottles - Question

Ken2029
04-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Hi folks,

Just bottled my second gallon batch. It tastes just a little hot and smells just a little yeasty. Even so, it's crystal clear and drinkable now, as long as you are not picky. All in all, I'm pleased.

Question, what would be your guess on how long to let it age in the bottles before I crack one open and give it a try?

EbonHawk
04-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Haha...need recipe and details, but other than that. Basically, the longer it sits the better it will be. Up to a point, of course (maybe years).

The beauty of making my own stuff, is I can taste it whenever I want. If I've only got the one batch, and I like the flavor well enough, I'll crack one open every month of so. Most small batches last about a year this way and I can see what it tastes like at different aging lengths. Now that I've been making a lot more, I can wait longer because I've tried a few and I like them a bit more aged than just 3 or 4 months. Nothing wrong with them, I just know how good they can be and I can afford to be more patient for a bigger payoff.

Squatchy
04-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Like Ebon said. We would need to see your log with all the info you have to maybe have an idea. We could also give you advice to make your future batches better.

mannye
04-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Even the most impatient of us learn that the longer we wait, the better it gets.

Ken2029
04-13-2016, 06:06 AM
No log. Just followed a recipe. I realize that's not the way to do it. I promise I'll do it right the next time!!

Squatchy
04-13-2016, 08:35 AM
No log. Just followed a recipe. I realize that's not the way to do it. I promise I'll do it right the next time!!

Lots of recipes are filled with things that are out of touch with modern techniques. Post your recipe before you make it and ask for comments.

Ken2029
04-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Sorry to be so thick headed. Just enjoying the new hobby and trying to start a casual conversation. Go back to kicking your dogs and yelling at the kids on your lawn!

Ken2029
04-13-2016, 11:53 AM
OK. I'm being a little thin skinned. Sorry about that. I started the batch before the importance of documentation was clear to me. Needless to say, I understand now.

zpeckler
04-13-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm sure Squatchy didn't mean anything by it. He's right, there are a ton of older mead recipes out there that don't incorporate modern best practices. Plus, even if you follow the recipe to the letter the yeast will often have different ideas! The recipe is just a starting point in most cases.

Even if you didn't take notes, could you post the recipe you followed?

Ken2029
04-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Well, dang! The link to the recipe is broken and I did not save it.

I'm drinking a glass from the last quarter bottle off the bottom of the gallon and I have to say it's not too bad. I will be starting a new batch within the next couple of notes and I will take meticulous notes.