• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cloudy mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sadcheese

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

I had a quick question. I'm about ten batches in and have moved from Costco honey to local raw stuff. I made three simultaneous batches using a raspberry honey and two with blackberry that I purchased 40 pounds of. All were done BOMM style. The raspberry cleared quickly but the blackberries didn't. I've now just finished my next round and all are similarly cloudy at three months. Is this something I should expect from some honeys or something of concern? Superkleer works great but I'm hoping to avoid using it if possible and do t feel like waiting six months for a BOMM.

Sadcheese

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 20, 2015
Hah. Well I'm fine with it, im just worried that if I bottle it-- I've got a five gallon BOMM-- id like to keep some for long term aging and it will settle out in the interim.

curgoth

Why do something when you can overdo it?
GotMead Patron
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
www.memento-mori.ca
Get a horn to drink out of. No one can tell if it's cloudy, then!

You have a few options to get your mead clear - fining agents, giving up on it, and time. Cold crashing can help with the time option, but is no guarantee. If you bottle early, you'll have more sediment in the bottle.

It really depends on what you're happy and comfortable with.

When in doubt, put it in a closet and start another batch...

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
My first step for clearing is usually a cold crash. If that doesn't do it I have two options that work well typically for me.

If my mead has any fruit in it, I add pectinase. Usually within a month or so, that clears it right up. Just dump 2 tsp in during secondary, swirl it up, and get on with your life.

If the mead has no fruit, I use bentonite. 95%of the time, it clears brilliantly within a week. Bam! Done! If bentonite doesn't do it (rare) I give it a time out for a few months. Lol.

Sadcheese

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 20, 2015
Thanks for the tips. So far I've been just racking monthly and eventually they clear. This honey through me off because my other stuff got clear much faster and i have a couple sitting around with no change in three months.

Just hit my weed mead with SK yesterday because I got anxious to try it. Already sparkling after one night outside!

fuelish

NewBee
Registered Member
When in doubt, put it in a closet and start another batch...
Sound advice, right there....I've had a few "out of sight, out of mind" batches that turned out brilliantly clear.....my mango mels are also hydromels that I like to bottle carb, so....they're my one mead that I don't mind the cloudiness at all.....great summertime sipping on a sunny day :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns