PDA

View Full Version : This an okay container for storing/racking JAO?

MrMcClassy
05-04-2016, 09:16 PM
So its been around 2 1/2 months since I started my first JAO, (I started a second one a couple weeks after the first) and its time to drink , its very good not quite amazing, and very strong but hell I got another 2 gallons I'm going to make and 1 on the way, so it doesn't matter :D
what does matter Is I have a another gallon carboy on the way to start another batch, but I wanna know if for longterm use this glass jug thing is good for storing mead or not
Im iffy cause of the little spicket thing. also if I decide to drink most of it how long would it last in the fridge?

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/259x461q90/921/e9904L.jpg

clone63
05-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Long term storage, I would pass on. If you're going to drink it within a month, or move it out, I'd say it would work.
Mead, and JAOM's are pretty resilient to infection and oxidation compared to other fermented beverages, but they are not impervious. Make sure the spigot part is well cleaned, and minimize splashing. If there is some kind of plastic/silicone on the spigot I'd be a little worried about taste transference due to the time frame and harshness of mead but it should be 'food grade'. I'm also paranoid of plastic..

fatbloke
05-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Meh! You can use the jar if you have to. Problem with screw tops like that, is that when new, you can put warm/hot stuff in and as the contents cool, they create a vacuum seal.

But you're not gonna heat the mead for that, so I'd suggest that you used some PTFE tape round the thread before screwing the lid on, plus only use it for a short time as the lids only have a very thin/fine but easily damaged surface film over the steel. Meads are too high a water content not to cause limited rusting of the steel where there could be damage to the film surface, ruining the contents.

Hence the suggestion of short term only........

MrMcClassy
05-08-2016, 12:02 PM
update, the mead dident last more then this weekend, also I have called it "ragdoll" (doesnt need anymore explanation then that)
but I was kinda paranoid and kept unscrewing the lid in case there was still yeasties doing there thing left over, but its been about 2 to 2 1/2 months since I started
how long does it take untill its safe to bottle?