PDA

View Full Version : NewBee for Mead Making

Jradams
05-14-2016, 06:03 PM
Hello everyone I just got started with Mead today and made two gallons of Mead using the recipe found on stormthecastle website using one gallon jugs. I did use red star dry yeast instead of the fleishmans so hopefully that doesn't cause issues. The first one I did exactly what was mentioned on the site and the second jug I just used raisins and honey which I hope to introduce Blackberry's and Cold Pressed coffee to make a blackberry coffee Mead hopefully similar to the Breakfast Magpie done by New Day Meadery here in Indianapolis. Just wanted to ask has anyone else tried this method and what was the outcome? did it turn out ok? Whats the difference between this method versus heating and what seems to be more advanced techniques? I'm excited to let everyone know both jugs are bubbling away so far so good!

Thanks!

Jeremy

curgoth
05-17-2016, 01:35 PM
If I recall correctly, the stormthecastle recipe is very similar to what folks around here call Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM). The trouble you might have using the Red Star yeast is that it has a different ABV tolerance than the bread yeast, so your mead may end up much drier than the recipe called for. You're using the recipe with oranges, raisins and spices? If that gets too dry, it can be pretty harsh.