PDA

View Full Version : Mead tasting help

Aurimas
05-18-2016, 03:36 AM
Hello,

Where I live there is only one mead type and it is very tart and dry. I tasted only it and my own meads.
I have been making mead for about a year now and it is hard to understand what I am seeking in it when I do not know how exactly a good mead tastes.
Reason for this post is to find a person who can help me to buy some bottles of mead and ship them to Europe (Lithuania to be specific).

Maybe someone can help me with this?

antonioh
05-18-2016, 05:01 AM
As I understand, a good mead is a mead well balanced, tasty, complex, with stucture and body. It can be a matter of personal taste, of habit, but also a matter of fashion...

A little vague isnīt it ?

When I say a matter of fashion, I recall , at least here in Portugal , the white wines. Today (although itīs changing again) they are very thin, fermenting only the juice, without stalks, seeds or peels. The result is a light wine, with little body , low tanins, low colour, and soft nose. About forty or fifty years ago, nobody would buy these wines. Everybody wanted white wines with strong body, tanins, well marked yellow colour , and they were fermented like red wines , with all the ingredientes of the grapes.

About mead, for what I can see in the Forum, most prefer dry meads or demi-dry. Here in Portugal, my demi-dry meads are considered very dry. JAOM is apreciated but considered not to much sweet, as here everybody is used to desert mead ( d > 1050) , so...

pokerfacepablo
05-18-2016, 09:10 AM
I prefer sweet meads over dry because you get more attributes from the honey. I'm jealous that you live in the land of Port wines. We have a very slim selection of Ports where I live. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a dry, heavy oaked cab from time to time but really love them sweet Ports.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mazer828
05-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Try to describe what the color blue looks like to someone who has been blind all of their life. Or the sound of a river rushing, to someone who has never heard. Such is the plight of explaining to most of the world what mead tastes like. It is a delicious frustration that we all share. I applaud you for seeking out opportunities to explore the boundaries of what mead can offer the taste palate. It is a lifetime journey to be sure.

Squatchy
05-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Hello,

Where I live there is only one mead type and it is very tart and dry. I tasted only it and my own meads.
I have been making mead for about a year now and it is hard to understand what I am seeking in it when I do not know how exactly a good mead tastes.
Reason for this post is to find a person who can help me to buy some bottles of mead and ship them to Europe (Lithuania to be specific).

Maybe someone can help me with this?

Are you unable to purchase on line in your country? I would love to get some stuff from Europe. Especially Polish meads. Shipping across the pond is really a detriment.