PDA

View Full Version : First time with mead unlike beer. Infected?

sawyer
05-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Hey everyone,

This is my first time giving mead a go after having brewed beer a dozen times or so before. I've had my mead sitting here for just under two months around 70˚F, but recently gave it a smell during a gravity reading and then a look, and am... skeptical.

It does, frankly, smell highly alcoholic. Maybe a bit sour/vinegar. It's subtle, for sure. This is beyond the nice sweet smell of the honey.

Can't tell by the photos what's going on and hoping to consult the oracle, so to speak. Please see these photos in the link below (the first one is the foamy head after a stirring):

http://pho.to/AA2aX

Many thanks, oh wise ones! :icon_joker:
Sawyer

Maylar
05-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Looks OK to me... taste it.

Jessiegaddy
05-24-2016, 07:50 PM
Post your recipe and all info you can.the more info we have the more we can help.but yeah looks like mead so taste it and let us know.

Crowing
05-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Looks fine. I used to think mine had a vinegar smell in them but I realized it's just a yeasty smell.

sawyer
05-25-2016, 12:00 AM
Gave it a taste. Don't believe it's infected anymore. Just yeasty. But maybe too yeasty. It's like sweet honey and bread from the oven. It's down to 1.022 right now. Was around 1.12 OG. Held it stable between 69 and 72 F over the past 6.5 weeks. How did it get this way? Will the yeasty flavor/smell level out? And can I "divert" it from continuing?

Thanks all.

beecarp
05-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Standard answers are; 1.Keep your yeast in suspension. This will prevent stratification of your must. It will help the yeast to work in metabolizing the sugars. 2. Don't let 71-B set on lees that long. Rack it off to another container. What is your mead fermenting in now? Should be in a carboy with airlock. Liquid to the shoulder of carboy. It looks like they are in buckets maybe. It is possible to ferment to completion in buckets, but it is seldom done. Buckets allows way too much exposure to air after 2 months. 3. Post your recipe/method. You have not given much information regarding nutrients, stirring/ degassing . 4. Mead ain't beer. We all start some where. Develop a system of fermentation based on latest, best practices. 5. Give it time.