PDA

View Full Version : Aeration and Degassing

Paladin906
06-30-2016, 09:11 PM
I am confused on what the consensus is when it comes to aeration and degassing. Should I degas and aerate throughout the whole primary? What is everyones opinion on this?

Squatchy
06-30-2016, 11:32 PM
Ask 10 different mazers and you'll get 12 different answers.

By being vigorous enough to aerate your must you will also be degassing at the same time. I would suggest to do this until the half way point. After that just degas on a regular basis until fermentation is over. Then you can slow down and do it once or twice a week for a few weeks if you want to. Mead doesn't clear very well with O2 still in suspension so it could speed up your clearing process if you're in a hurry. As the yeast start to close in on the ABV tolorence levels and start to struggle you will be helping them with the stress by removing the toxic gasses.

Personally I don't really worry about oxidation at all unless I'm making a pyment. And only then do I start to change up a little.

Paladin906
07-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks. My first 1 gallon batches, I only aerated a total of two times during the primary fermentation. I degassed before bottling. Gi believe the aroma and taste improved after degassing.