PDA

View Full Version : Will my first time be dry no matter what?

dustin31522
07-06-2016, 04:27 PM
I have EC1118 and as I've read here a bit I am scared that no matter how much honey I put in my 1 gallon batch my mead will be dry. Is this true or am I misreading things? Plan is to to put 3lbs in a 1 gallon batch with some energizer and nutrient, no other flavors added. Thanks for any of your 2 cents you might add!

Squatchy
07-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Nothing would ever force a mead to finish dry. Each yeast has an alcohol tolerance level. At some point you will go over that level if you add enough honey/sugar and it will stop them from fermenting. So you just need to add more gravity points than the yeast can process to end up sweet. More gravity beyond = a higher sweetness level.

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

Stasis
07-07-2016, 12:09 AM
I'd just add that with Ec-1118 you might need a lot of honey for you to exceed the yeast's alcohol tolerance. You'll also end up with a high abv mead, of course. If you don't want this to happen you might want to just feed the honey you have now, stabilize and back sweeten later. Decide on your approach and read up. If you still have questions ask here again. Welcome!

dustin31522
07-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Thanks for your input! another few questions if you don't mind. Should I use a whole pack or less of the yeast and since the ABV will be a bit hight should I add 1 extra pound to counteract the strength of the yeast to keep it sweeter? Sure wish I would have found this place a week or so ago when I started ordering supplies!

pokerfacepablo
07-07-2016, 02:01 AM
Thanks for your input! another few questions if you don't mind. Should I use a whole pack or less of the yeast and since the ABV will be a bit hight should I add 1 extra pound to counteract the strength of the yeast to keep it sweeter? Sure wish I would have found this place a week or so ago when I started ordering supplies!
One 5 gram pack is good for up to 5 gallons. You could split it between 2 batches if you want. Doesn't matter, just keep doing your rehydration procedure and there should be plenty of viable yeast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pokerfacepablo
07-07-2016, 02:03 AM
Oh and buy some go ferm or fermax yeast nutrient. That usually ensures healthy yeast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Squatchy
07-07-2016, 09:50 AM
I agree with pablo that a 5 gram can do 5 gallons but I would suggest using 2 packets because your lag time will be much less before you get underway. I actually would use 3 packs if using EC-1118 because of the high gravity.

Farmboyc
07-07-2016, 11:32 AM
+1 on what Squatchy said. Dry yeast is by far the cheapest ingredient in mead. Don't be stingy and risk problematic fermentations.

dustin31522
07-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Only planning on doing a 1 gallon batch so do I really need 3 packs of yeast? Plus I want a sweet mead not a dry. After this batch I will be trying a 5 gallon batch of "watermelon citrus" mead. I was thinking of using half a pack for the 1 gallon and 1.5 packs for the 5 gallon. Also I do have nutrients (DAP) and a pound of yeast energizer which contains DAP according to the label. Either way I plan to do the 1 gallon batch today.

Squatchy
07-07-2016, 09:01 PM
You misread my post. 1 pack for a gallon. 2 packets for a 3 gallon and 3 packs for 5 gallons. Your amount of PPM of yeast at pitch has nothing to do with how sweet or dry you end up. Go read my post again. I already answered that for you!!!

curgoth
07-08-2016, 12:58 PM
The thing about how much yeast you put in is that the little buggers multiply. So using more yeast up front a) means it gets going somewhat faster and b) reduces the risk of all your yeast dying/being dead in the packet. If they're viable, though, they will reproduce as much as they can given the available food source, unless something in the environment upsets them (high starting gravity, contamination, temperature difference between re-hydration medium and must, etc.)

Maylar
07-08-2016, 03:58 PM
I have EC1118 and as I've read here a bit I am scared that no matter how much honey I put in my 1 gallon batch my mead will be dry. Is this true or am I misreading things? Plan is to to put 3lbs in a 1 gallon batch with some energizer and nutrient, no other flavors added. Thanks for any of your 2 cents you might add!

3 lbs of honey in one gallon with EC1118 will most assuredly finish dry, at about 15% ABV. If you increase the honey to the point where that yeast will quit, you'll have rocket fuel.

I would suggest a different yeast that poops out at maybe 12% and will leave you some residual sweetness without jumping through hoops. Or, be prepared to stabilize the mead with chemicals after fermentation and add some sweetener back at the end.

dustin31522
07-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Read back through what you said and I think I got it. Made 2 batches last night and they are bubbling away right now so time will tell.

dustin31522
07-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Well darn. Too late now!
3 lbs of honey in one gallon with EC1118 will most assuredly finish dry, at about 15% ABV. If you increase the honey to the point where that yeast will quit, you'll have rocket fuel.

I would suggest a different yeast that poops out at maybe 12% and will leave you some residual sweetness without jumping through hoops. Or, be prepared to stabilize the mead with chemicals after fermentation and add some sweetener back at the end.

beecarp
07-08-2016, 09:32 PM
It's all good, Just read up on stirring and degassing,and get some high quality yeast nutrient. Then you will start to learn from your first couple of batches. And maybe some more honey as yours will most likely plow through your initial amount.

Squatchy
07-08-2016, 10:00 PM

You'll only have rocket fuel if you don't know what your doing. Yes a higher ABV takes a little longer to mellow out but if you don't create fussels it's just fine.

dustin31522
07-09-2016, 01:41 AM
Did 3rd batch tonight and added more nutrients and honey. Also remembered to check the gravity this time! Hopefully my watermelon citrus mead will turn out yummy! OG at 1.152

Maylar
07-09-2016, 10:24 AM
You'll only have rocket fuel if you don't know what your doing. Yes a higher ABV takes a little longer to mellow out but if you don't create fussels it's just fine.

40 proof mead is rocket fuel to me. EC1118 can take you there.

dustin31522
07-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Next batches will be more mellow. All part of the learning process I guess. In the middle of reading the NewBee Guide right now.