PDA

View Full Version : Combine Five One Gallon Batches Before Bottling?

Ken2029
07-13-2016, 10:13 PM
I've got five separate single gallon batches of JAOM going at the same time. When it comes time to bottle them, should I rack into a five gallon bucket, wait for it to settle, and then bottle it? It seems like I could be a little more aggressive in siphoning down to the lees if I go this route.

Thoughts?

Ken2029
07-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Another advantage may be to eliminate any slight variations between the individual batches.

zpeckler
07-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Another advantage may be to eliminate any slight variations between the individual batches.

It makes sense if you're going to consistency. Were all the batches made following the JAOM recipe exactly? If so, then blending them together is fine.

If you had done something a little different with each batch it might be worth it to bottle and label them separately. That way you can track how each batch comes out over time and when making future batches replicate the protocol that made the best mead. (Future experimentation when you move beyond the JAO!)

What you might want to do in order to ensure maximum clarity is rack all the 1gal batches into a 5gal carboy and let it sit for another month or so. That way any sediment you accidently sucked up when you combined the batches will fall out.

Ken2029
07-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

Yes, all five batches were made as close to identical as possible. The recipe was a slight variation in that I cut the "orange" off of the peel and used only the zest.

EbonHawk
07-14-2016, 10:55 AM
I'd go the glass carboy route over using a plastic bottling bucket for any settling or storage like that. I'd feel safer putting it in a carboy. Either way, though, mixing is fine if you're not trying to preserve any style differences. I've done it with several 1.5 and 2 gal batches to combine into 3 or 5 gal carboys. Always turns out fine.

Swordnut
07-14-2016, 11:36 AM
When mixing, I personally like to bulk age it for a month or two afterward. This to smooth out any parts which do not readily mix that well, such as fusel oils.