• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Colorado mead test

Barrel Char Wood Products

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So I wanted to make aware, and to invite any interested parties, to an exciting event Jim and I will do here in the very near future. We both have the same honey provider so we purchase some honey and decided to make a big test batch. Both of us agree as to the best protocol for great fermentation's so we agreed to do this.

We made enough must to make around 25 different 1 gallon test hits. The must was the same. The protocol was exactly the same. The only variable was we used different yeast. We each made 12-13 gallons at our own place. Ten each were totally different yeast. I think we made 2 or 3 batches that overlapping yeast so we had a baseline comparison.
Now we both have 10 different batches and 2 or 3 that are the same yeast. We ran all of them dry and started with an OG of 1120. ( I think I had 3 that didn't quite run dry, but very close. Within a few points)

The next part is to have at our monthly gathering a panel of judges to compare all the different yeast selections to see how they stack up to each other. I realize because they are all trads we won't exactly be able to see how they could each shine in their specifically designed categories, but at least we can get an idea of what each yeast impart in a controlled environment.

At some point we will relay our findings.

Ryan

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
damnit the drive to colorado would take too long...

Yea it would great to meet you. It is kinda far for sure. Last time I rode my bike to Maltal it took much longer than I expected. Almost drowned riding through the ocean. My straw got plugged up with seaweed. And while I stopped top try and clear it out an octopus tried to mate with my clipless pedal. When I was finally able to get him free he rode off with my water bottle.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns