PDA

View Full Version : Aging cloudy vs. clear and sweet vs. dry

Sadcheese
07-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm on year two and finally decided to make a few traditionals. In March I made a six-gallon BOMM that was to the letter (or 6/5ths of the letter, at least) using a Pacific Northwest blackberry honey and in May I made a six-gallon an orange blossom traditional using D47 and TOSNA (OG 1.110). I plan on keeping the BOMM dry and backsweetening the OB to 1.005 (it is currently just below 1.0, the primary ferment went great).

I have questions:
1) The blackberry doesn't clear well. I've used the same 40# bucket for a number of batches, and they all stay cloudy up to 8 months out (my oldest) and the ones I have bottled I have cleared with superkleer. Since I planned on aging this one a long time I figured I'd just let it go, but will the quality be better if I clear it and then let it age? I've already racked three times and there is a minute film of lees on the bottom and that is all.
2) The OB will probably clear soon as it's only ~3 months out so I'm not so worried--I've made a few TE'J batches with it and they cleared really quickly. I want to backsweeten just a bit. Do people typically wait until after most of the bulk aging is done for this, or do they age it in bulk after backsweetening?

I plan on keeping in bulk for about 9 months (if I can keep my dirty hands off them) and then aging in bottles from there.

Thanks for the help!

Squatchy
07-27-2016, 09:06 PM
You can add it now or later. If you wait until it's clear and then add the honey it will muck it up again. Personally I stopped waiting for things to clear too much because I find if I get to a place (like where your at) That most of the larger stuff has dropped and then use something to clear it up, and then lastly run it through a filter it ages to a better place quicker. I find lots of times I don't need both parts to the mix. Usually the first one makes it clear in less than a day. I then will add adjuncts to it. Or just let it sit before I bottle it. I usually wait about a year before I bottle.

Even if you crashed it, fined it and ran it through a filter, but had fusels in it it would still require additional ageing to clear up the off flavors.

Sadcheese
07-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Great, thanks. I'll just meddle with them then. That's more fun anyways. :)

You can add it now or later. If you wait until it's clear and then add the honey it will muck it up again. Personally I stopped waiting for things to clear too much because I find if I get to a place (like where your at) That most of the larger stuff has dropped and then use something to clear it up, and then lastly run it through a filter it ages to a better place quicker. I find lots of times I don't need both parts to the mix. Usually the first one makes it clear in less than a day. I then will add adjuncts to it. Or just let it sit before I bottle it. I usually wait about a year before I bottle.

Even if you crashed it, fined it and ran it through a filter, but had fusels in it it would still require additional ageing to clear up the off flavors.