PDA

View Full Version : Storing boiled bread yeast

djsxxx
08-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Recently I've found myself having to add boiled bread yeast to my mead because of rhino farts... The process of boiling up a couple teaspoons waiting for it to cool and pitching it's a little annoying so I decided to boil up a big batch and store what ever I don't use.

I've got it in an air tight container in the fridge. How long do you reckon this will last before it becomes unusable?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Maylar
08-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Prolly forever. They're dead.

djsxxx
08-17-2016, 05:15 PM
I would have thought they would either start to decompose or something would start using them as food

pwizard
08-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Thought about sanitizing an ice cube tray, putting the slurry in there, and freezing it?

Squatchy
08-17-2016, 10:33 PM
You might want to consider why your batches are smelling and fix things that way. YOu can buy yeast hulls in bulk. Not sure why it's so hard to microwafe a tablespoon of water in a cup for a minute. I wouldn't try to store stuff for very long that way.

djsxxx
08-18-2016, 02:41 AM
You might want to consider why your batches are smelling and fix things that way. YOu can buy yeast hulls in bulk. Not sure why it's so hard to microwafe a tablespoon of water in a cup for a minute. I wouldn't try to store stuff for very long that way.
Yeah I do need to work out why the batches are smelling :)

It's not hard, just a little time consuming. I don't go to the local groceries store every time I want an apple, I buy a few and store the ones I don't eat for a later date.

The ice cube tray idea sounds interesting.

Squatchy
08-18-2016, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=djsxxx;257859]Yeah I do need to work out why the batches are smelling :)

Do you use a lee's stirrer on a drill to Aaerate/degass? How do you calculate your YAN calcs, and then what feeding protocol are you employing?

djsxxx
08-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Do you use a lee's stirrer on a drill to Aaerate/degass? How do you calculate your YAN calcs, and then what feeding protocol are you employing?

Yep use a wine whip attached to a drill. Degas 2/3 times daily during the first couple weeks of fermentation. Then every couple of days after until fermentation has finished.

I've been using lor's nutrient amount (scaled according to volume) and schedule, and even when i used 1388 i still had an issue. Temperature isn't controlled but is usually pretty steady at about 20C.

I also Ph buffer with potassium carbonate, aiming to keep Ph between 3.2 and 3.6

It's only been a couple batches that give the off smell and have always been restored with the bread yeast. Would be nice to not have to use it though!