PDA

View Full Version : Need a Book Suggestion

Ken2029
08-20-2016, 01:33 PM
What's the best book for making mead? Thanks!!

zpeckler
08-20-2016, 02:40 PM
The Compleat Meadmaker (https://www.amazon.com/Compleat-Meadmaker-Production-Award-winning-Variations/dp/0937381802/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471718130&sr=8-1&keywords=the+compleat+meadmaker) is widely considered to be the best, most "compleat" book out there, but it's over a decade old and doesn't take into account a lot of modern meadmaking best-practices. Still, it's the foundation upon which most of meamaking is based.

The Complete Guide to Making Mead (https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Making-Mead-Ingredients/dp/0760345643/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471718251&sr=8-3&keywords=the+compleat+meadmaker) isn't nearly as comprehensive, but it does incorporate many more modern fundamentals like "staggered nutrient additions."

If you wanna go full-on, no holds barred hippie, then this book is (https://www.amazon.com/Make-Mead-Like-Viking-Wild-Fermented/dp/1603585982/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471718251&sr=8-2&keywords=the+compleat+meadmaker) for you. Results definitely not guaranteed to be consistent or reproducible, though.

Ken2029
08-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks. I may just go full hippie. Sounds interesting.

zpeckler
08-20-2016, 09:16 PM
It is, but the problem is that the results will likely be inconsistent. Be prepared to accept the occasional sub-par batch, and difficulty replicating your best batches.

darigoni
08-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Actually, what is your goal in acquiring a book? Do you want to learn the "how to process"? Recipes? What equipment you need?

It's amazing how much information is readily available on gotmead, the internet and youtube.

bernardsmith
08-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Ken Schramm's book will enable you to make a good mead as will a more modern book - by Steve Piatz, The Complete Guide to Mead , 2014, Voageur Press.

Ken2029
08-21-2016, 09:05 PM
It is, but the problem is that the results will likely be inconsistent. Be prepared to accept the occasional sub-par batch, and difficulty replicating your best batches.

Good enough for me. Sounds like the story of my life!!

Ken2029
08-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Actually, what is your goal in acquiring a book? Do you want to learn the "how to process"? Recipes? What equipment you need?

It's amazing how much information is readily available on gotmead, the internet and youtube.

Yes. The how to is what I need. You are right. There is an enormous amount of information here, but having the important stuff condensed into a book would be nice. I will probably get all three of them.

mannye
08-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Yes. The how to is what I need. You are right. There is an enormous amount of information here, but having the important stuff condensed into a book would be nice. I will probably get all three of them.

I suggest you get those books and read through them. They are all great. While you are reading, I suggest you make a gallon of JAOM. Read the recipe here:

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/15654-Joe-Mattioli-s-Foolproof-Ancient-Orange-Clove-and-Cinnamon-Mead

Everything you need is available at the local supermarket. If you really want to "go hippy" then this is your starter mead. The other recipes use specialized yeasts and equipment you can only get from, you guessed it, corporations man! :)

Ken2029
08-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Right. I've got five gallons of JAO and five gallons of JAO blackberry variant well under way now. These are the third and fourth batches of JAO that I've made. The first turned out fantastic but was gone very quickly. I will be ready this time.

Next up will be a traditional but I want to study up first.

Ken2029
08-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Just racked the five individual gallons into a six gallon bottling bucket. Tastes good, but a slight peppery taste. Actually pretty good for straight from the fermenter.

mannye
08-30-2016, 03:53 AM
Just racked the five individual gallons into a six gallon bottling bucket. Tastes good, but a slight peppery taste. Actually pretty good for straight from the fermenter.

Get them into a secondary and try (I'm not very good at it) to forget about them for a while. You will be amazed at the improvement over the course of a few months. The BOMM protocol is great for a first traditional. Takes a lot of the guesswork out.