PDA

View Full Version : Cornmeal Mead

WildPhil
09-09-2016, 01:44 PM
I've got a few pounds of cornmeal laying around and was thinking of turning it into a mead. I got the idea from a moonshine corn mash recipe, obviously making moonshine is illegal but the question is would a mead work in pretty much the same way. I've got a packet of 71b 1122 in the fridge and was thinking of making this recipe

2.5lbs cornmeal (stone ground not quick cook)
3.5lbs honey
5gallons water
Half pint malt extract
1 packet yeast.

Essentially make as you would a moonshine mash but instead of distilling, siphon it off and age (?) in carboys. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Squatchy
09-09-2016, 02:17 PM
3.5lbs of honey is what you would use in a single gallon of mead. You need that times 5. I'm not sure but don't you need to boil the cornmeal? Also I would suggest using 3 packets of yeast for a 5 gallon batch.

What are you trying to make here for a finished product? This doesn't sound at all appealing to me.

WildPhil
09-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Yes, I'll have to boil the cornmeal first.
At the moment it's more of an idea that I want to experiment with, not entirely sure how it will turn out, there's every possibility that it'll taste shithouse! I may try a gallon batch first and see how that turns out. Thanks for the info though, appreciate it.

WVMJack
09-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Drop in some amylase to convert the start left over after its cooked. WVMJ

Masbustelo
09-09-2016, 08:11 PM
I would suggest forget the cornmeal. Boil some corn ( like a cup) until it is soft. Run it through a grinder or food mill. It will be much higher quality than commercial corn meal. Very good idea the amylase. Your making Chicha. You can check online for Chicha recipes.

jwaldo
09-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Or, perhaps, add some malt and proceed as in brewing beer. You are going to need some enzymes to convert the corn starch to fermentable sugar (will barley enzymes even do this?). I like the idea of just adding some boiled sweet corn - perhaps in secondary - for flavor.

Thanks,
Jim.

WildPhil
09-10-2016, 05:47 PM
I think chicha is the better way to go, have checked out a few recipes online. Probably will replace the sugar with a suitable amount of honey, say 10lbs for a 2.6 gallon batch.
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

trokio
09-11-2016, 01:31 AM
I would suggest forget the cornmeal. Boil some corn ( like a cup) until it is soft. Run it through a grinder or food mill. It will be much higher quality than commercial corn meal. Very good idea the amylase. Your making Chicha. You can check online for Chicha recipes.

would it not change the look and taste???

Masbustelo
09-11-2016, 09:12 AM
I don't know about changing the look, but... If you boil some corn, for instance the large grain corn available at the Mexican grocery stores you will end up with a much higher quality product. Commercial cornmeal is usually cut with wheat flour and other additives. If you boil one or two cups of corn you will be surprised at how much you end up with afterward. After it is relatively soft wash it in a strainer and run it through some type of mill or grinder. The amylase is important. I have made this chicha many times, but I was in a country without access to the amylase. Also you have to use yeast nutrient or you will have a very slow ferment. The sweet corn suggestion is definitely with merit.

WildPhil
09-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Is there enough amylase in malt extract or am I better off getting some?