PDA

View Full Version : tablespoon instead of teaspoon

homoeccentricus
09-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Hi,

I've been absent for some time, went more into cider, but now I'm back with a question from a colleague mead maker in Belgium. We don't use table and tea spoons as units (we use grams ;) ) and unfortunately he confused tsp and tbsp and added 3 times too much potassium carbonate and Nutrivit Vinoferm. What would you recommend he do next to save his mead?

Thanks in advance!

Squatchy
09-12-2016, 04:55 PM
You would need to check your pH to let us know where that stands. Any additional info about your batch. Ingredients list Brew log ect will help you to get better responses.
As far ass the food,,,, you nutrient additions schedule/protocol you plan to use would give us the stuff we need to help out. If your early in the process your probably ok with the nitrogen.

Give us more info to get better answers.

homoeccentricus
09-12-2016, 05:19 PM
It's not me, it's literally "asking for a friend". All I know is that he tried to make a BOMM mead using the information on http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=429241 , and that he used tablespoons instead of teaspoons for his first addition...

bmwr75
09-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Google search "volume in a tablespoon" and "volume in a teaspoon". You can get that answer in milliliters, which may help you convert to a weight.

Farmboyc
09-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Teaspoon = 5ml
Tablespoon = 15ml

homoeccentricus
09-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Conversion of spoons to ml was not really what I asked for, but thanks anyway. :)

The pH of the mead was 4.5, so my friend said he would lower the pH to under 4.
Then I also advised him to skip the 2nd addition, but do the 3rd addition. Hope that's sound...

Farmboyc
09-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Well the first addition was triple what it should have been.

Nutrients schedule should be OK. I wouldn't adjust pH till the end. The released CO2 will probably push it down.

58limited
09-16-2016, 02:42 AM
I haven't had to adjust pH very much in my meads but I think reducing the pH with an acidifier is the best thing to do in this case if the pH is too high. If the mead has trouble fermenting then I would double or triple the batch to dilute the acid/base additives. For future reference 1 tablespoon is approximately 15 grams, 1 teaspoon is approximately 5 grams.

chams
11-02-2016, 08:19 PM
if the mead has trouble fermenting

I don't understand this as I thought the fermentation would have no problem with the higher pH, but it might encourage unwanted yeasts or bacteria at pHs higher than 4.0.

Farmboyc
11-02-2016, 08:29 PM
I am just saying that a pH will likely not be an issue for the fermentation. If desired a pH adjustment can be made AFTER fermentation.
This will help know the exact final pH instead of guessing and still protect your finished product.

loveofrose
11-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Tell him to do nothing. Don't add anything else. It will ferment slower, but be fine. He's not the first to make that mistake[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanielSank
11-09-2016, 05:07 AM
loveofrose, I just made a very similar mistake. Following the recipe here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/22296-Bray-s-One-Month-Mead-aka-the-quot-BOMM-quot-5-gallon-recipe/page4), my must contains 1 Tablespoon DAP, 2 Tablespoons Fermaid K, and 3/4 Tablespoon K2CO3. I noticed this problem because the must tastes like a salt lick.

I figure since the amount of DAP and Fermaid K is the correct _total_ amount (that should have been fed in increments at the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks), I'm probably ok to just not add any more, as you recommend for the OP of this thread. However, I would like to know if you have any advice about what to do about the fact that I've got a bit over 2x as much K2CO3 as your recipe calls for.

P.S. Also, please either fix or delete this post which contains a massive typo that has caused many people to do the wrong thing (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/22296-Bray-s-One-Month-Mead-aka-the-quot-BOMM-quot-5-gallon-recipe/page4).

HeidrunsGift
11-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Tell him to do nothing. Don't add anything else. It will ferment slower, but be fine. He's not the first to make that mistake[emoji3]

Are you saying it will ferment slower at a higher pH than a lower one (assuming it's not so low that it will stall)?

loveofrose
11-09-2016, 09:02 AM
The pH is a non-issue here. Too low a pH is a problem, too high just tastes flabby but doesn't hurt the ferment. You just add tartaric acid at the end to get the crispness back.

I'd be far more concerned about adding too much nutrient. Too much DAP can really taste horrible. Since he won't be staggering the nutrients, it will take longer to ferment. It WILL ferment though. The standard BOMM max ABV is 13%. Wyeast 1388 easily goes to 16.5%. It may take a month, but it will go to 1.000.