PDA

View Full Version : long term storing temperature

heathd666
09-13-2016, 11:06 AM
so how important is the aging temperature for storing mead? for example in my basement its around 75 degrees during the summer but its dark. would there be any noticable off flavors etc for storing carboys down there. thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

bmwr75
09-13-2016, 06:41 PM
I would not be worried about storing long-term at 75F. Where I store mead and wine is about 74 in the summer and 64 in the winter.

Stasis
09-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I wonder... I've seen many experiments on these forums but have never stumbled on someone doing a temperature-aging experiment. Anyone know of such an experiment for mead? I think I've read that Medsen says his mead does not age well because his 'fusel shack' is too hot during summer. Wonder if it has ever been realized where the cutoff point is. Like Bmwr I also age mead at 75F during summer without any discernible ill effect (i.e. it actually continues to improve with age)

Squatchy
09-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Stasi

Lets see if we can dredge some info up. I'm super swamped until this Sunday. I can start then. I'm sure most (if not all will be about wine) but we can cross it over some I'm pretty sure. Some how I envisioned you having a cellar/cave to store your stuff in over on your side of the world.

Stasis
09-15-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm not too sure information about wine quite crosses over to mead. I think similar to oxidation, mead is also resilient to higher temps. I'm amazed my mead is aging well.
Our garage is below ground level which makes it cooler than the rest of the house but a good cellar would be another level beneath that. If it weren't for the garage temps would easily go up to 85F. Many older houses have wells and "cellars", so having something like that would be pretty damn awesome. In fact my father used to age his wine in someone else's older house. Unfortunately, our house is much more modern and we only get a well. I was thinking about inventing a way to store mead in the well (people are actually aging wines underwater) but since it seems to be aging right I don't want to take the extra risk and hassle.

Squatchy
09-15-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm not too sure information about wine quite crosses over to mead. I think similar to oxidation, mead is also resilient to higher temps. I'm amazed my mead is aging well.
Our garage is below ground level which makes it cooler than the rest of the house but a good cellar would be another level beneath that. If it weren't for the garage temps would easily go up to 85F. Many older houses have wells and "cellars", so having something like that would be pretty damn awesome. In fact my father used to age his wine in someone else's older house. Unfortunately, our house is much more modern and we only get a well. I was thinking about inventing a way to store mead in the well (people are actually aging wines underwater) but since it seems to be aging right I don't want to take the extra risk and hassle.

I was thinking of you today at lunch bud :)

I often times try to make a mead in a certain style to create a mead that could run adjacent to a beverage style. I have been tossing around the idea of making a mead to play in the Grappa camp. I suppose I was thinking of you because of what I imagine in my head the culture you live in.