PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting JAOM

clayfarmer
09-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Hi all,
New mead maker and new to the forum.

Made my first mead a couple months ago, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. (I suspect thats where many people start?) It turned out awesome so about 10 days ago I set out to make two more 1 gal batches of it. Planning to start some other flavors/recipes very soon, but I know I like JAOM so what the heck, right?

Anyway, this time when I made the two gallons of JAOM I followed the recipe, EXCEPT that I used Lalvin ICV-D47 yeast instead of bread yeast, and I used 1/2 of an orange and 1/2 of a lemon in each one gal batch, instead of 1 whole orange per gal. Fermentation started within 4-8 hours, but seemed sluggish, not the vigorous bubbling I remembered from the first go round. It's slowed down every day since, and now at about 10 days into it, bubbling is almost non-existent.

What the heck is going on?

I don't have a hydrometer yet, so I'm sorry that I can't give you much more info.

Maylar
09-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Without a hydrometer reading it's hard to comment. But D47 is known to stall in a high gravity ferment. Should've stuck to the recipe.

clayfarmer
09-14-2016, 05:51 PM
So what to do now? Do I go ahead and pitch bread yeast as called for in the recipe?

Squatchy
09-14-2016, 08:46 PM
I haven't ever had D-47 do me wrong. I use it all the time. I have never heard any complaints about that yeast. JOAM isn't really a high gravity mead either as far as that goes. Mylar do you have some links to the material you have read please. It's temperature sensitive and the window is small, but other wise it's a fabulous yeast for meads.

JOAM is very specific about doing it exactly. You voided the recipe when you step outside the box. Your going to need to feed your must now with YAN and try to bring the temps into focus. You also may have hurt the pH as well and that could slow or stop progress all together. Do you have a pH meter? Can you buy some K2co3 at a brew store?

clayfarmer
09-14-2016, 11:33 PM
I just ordered a hydrometer and some ph test strips, so I'll have that info in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maylar
09-15-2016, 09:14 AM
I haven't ever had D-47 do me wrong. I use it all the time. I have never heard any complaints about that yeast. JOAM isn't really a high gravity mead either as far as that goes. Mylar do you have some links to the material you have read please. It's temperature sensitive and the window is small, but other wise it's a fabulous yeast for meads.

My comment reflects a mead maker's review on one of the supplies sites (Northern Brewer maybe?) and a post that I've seen in another forum. In all fairness though, there were no mention of nutrient feeding, so maybe they didn't use the yeast properly.