• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Airlock question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Kieran

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2016
I made a trip to my LHBS a few days ago to get some real supplies (and some honey). That night, I started 2 separate gallon batches of JAOM, and they've been bubbling furiously since then. However, the store only had one airlock in stock (I just covered the other with cheesecloth and it seems to be doing perfectly fine that way), and I later saw that it has a crack in it's side, which may be why this is happening:

8e67d3cf395e7dc84f57cce7d6071c8f.jpg

I take it it's not supposed to do that. In fact, it starts to overflow after about half a day. Clearly, I didn't give it quite the 3 inches that the recipe told me to, but I doubt that can account for this.

I'm not worried that my batch will be ruined or anything, but I would like to know why it's doing this so I can avoid it in the future. Is it just the crack?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
You just filled the jug too high. Normally the mead shouldn't touch the bottom of the bung at all. Clean it out and reinstall. If you have a turkey baster that you can sanitize, I'd wash the foam down into the jug.

Kieran

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2016
All that stuff up there is just gunk that the bubbles pushed up. The must stops right below the handle.

I do have a turkey baster, so I'll do what you suggested tonight.

Kieran

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2016
Ah, I think I know what's up: the recipe said to give 3 inches of space for the first few days, which I interpreted to mean from the top. I realize now though that it probably meant from the neck.

I'm any case, it's all cleaned up now and I get to sit around and wait for my other one to finish.

Thanks for the help

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns