PDA

View Full Version : Planning to Attempt Cyser

antnyj12
10-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Hi all, I'm new to the forums and new to mead making. I am planning to attempt a cyser and after some searching it seems the "Mutiny on the Bounty" is a popular recipe. I will be using this recipe as a base with variations in batch size and ingredient additions. My recipe plan is as follows:

3 Gallon Batch:

- 3 Gallons fresh apple cider
- 7 LB Orange Blossom Honey
- .25 LB Dates
- .25 LB Raisins
- .75 Cane Brown Sugar
- 1 pk. K1-V1116
- 1 tsp Yeast nutrient
- 1 tsp Yeast energizer
- 1 or 2 Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean (added at the initiation of secondary secondary, suggestions on how much?)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (added at the initiation of secondary, suggestions on how much?)
- 1oz Hungarian Oak (added at the initiation of secondary)
Any ingredient suggestions?

Nutrient Schedule to be followed:

1) Pitching yeast per Go-Ferm Spec
2) End of lag phase, addition of 1g Fermaid K & 2g DAP
3) @ 1/3 sugar break, add 1g Fermaid K
4) @ 2/3 sugar break, add 1g Fermaid K

Questions (I am sure more will follow):

- Recommend aging times on how long in secondary?
- I had planned for to finish this at 12%ABV as I wanted to take 1 gal aside to prime and bottle to try it as sparkling. I plan to use either swing top bottles or crown cap beer bottles and bottle at 2atm, could anyone provide the equation to calculate the amount of primer (most likely will use honey to prime unless recommended otherwise)?
-Does a cyser eventually become clear as a standard honey mead, or does the amount of particulate in the juice cause it to finish cloudy?
- Is the approach laid out above, a good approach? If not, please provide recommendation of what to modify.
All input is greatly appreciated

Thank you,
Anthony

bernardsmith
10-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Hi antnyj12 - and welcome.
You may want to add some pectic enzyme to the apple juice about 12 -24 hours before you pitch the yeast. That will help break down the apple pectins and so will help clarify the cyser.

Maylar
10-07-2016, 02:26 PM
After reading the original recipe it seems that the OG is in the 1.145-1.150 range which leaves some residual sweetness after the yeast poops out. There won't be any yeast left to carbonate, and it'll be considerably beyond 12%.

If you back off on the honey to the 12% point (about 1.092) the cyser will finish dry and not taste like the original recipe.

antnyj12
10-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Thank you both for the input!

Squatchy
10-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Also, you won't have a clear product if you want to carb it naturally.

pdh
10-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Also, you won't have a clear product if you want to carb it naturally.

I've brewed sparkling cysers with natural carbonation -- adding a small amount of honey at bottling time -- and mine generally come out clear after 4 - 6 months of bottle aging. There will be a thin layer of yeast in the bottoms of the bottles, so you have to be careful when you pour it. If you stir up the yeast (or if you're too aggressive about trying to get the last possible drop of cyser out of the bottle, which I admit happens to me sometimes) then yeah, it's going to be a bit cloudy.

Squatchy
10-08-2016, 09:28 AM
I've brewed sparkling cysers with natural carbonation -- adding a small amount of honey at bottling time -- and mine generally come out clear after 4 - 6 months of bottle aging. There will be a thin layer of yeast in the bottoms of the bottles, so you have to be careful when you pour it. If you stir up the yeast (or if you're too aggressive about trying to get the last possible drop of cyser out of the bottle, which I admit happens to me sometimes) then yeah, it's going to be a bit cloudy.

That's what I meant. I just didn't type all that on my post :) As you know some yeast leave a very wispy fallout and others are pretty compact.

antnyj12
10-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Awesome, thank you all for the input!