PDA

View Full Version : Using persimmons in mead?

clayfarmer
10-08-2016, 03:23 PM
I have access to tons of native persimmons. I love the taste of them and enjoy eating them out of hand every fall. I've always wanted to do something with them, but they seem like a pain to process in large amounts. But now that I've started making mead, I wonder - any way to incorporate them into a mead?
Any tips or recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVMJack
10-09-2016, 07:22 AM
I have planted some wild persimmons in the hope to get enough for making some mead. What is the pain in processing them? You pull the green top off, squish them and drop them in a primary, no need to remove the skin and seeds right? Those tomatoe strainers that rotate and have a grape cone would easily be used to take out the seeds if that was an issue. Even with pectinases you are going to get a lot of sediment, I was thinking maybe do the primary ferment with just the persimons, no honey added, rack off the sediment and then add honey to the desired alcohol level, when all that is done stabalise and backsweeten with more honey if desired. Havent done it like this yet but seems a good way to get around using a lot of honey up front that might get lost in the primary racking. WVMJ

clayfarmer
10-09-2016, 05:56 PM
I have planted some wild persimmons in the hope to get enough for making some mead. What is the pain in processing them? You pull the green top off, squish them and drop them in a primary, no need to remove the skin and seeds right? Those tomatoe strainers that rotate and have a grape cone would easily be used to take out the seeds if that was an issue. Even with pectinases you are going to get a lot of sediment, I was thinking maybe do the primary ferment with just the persimons, no honey added, rack off the sediment and then add honey to the desired alcohol level, when all that is done stabalise and backsweeten with more honey if desired. Havent done it like this yet but seems a good way to get around using a lot of honey up front that might get lost in the primary racking. WVMJ

I looked into making jam with them last year but you have to remove skins and seeds for that. I tried but after about 10 min of work I could tell it wasn't gonna be worth my time.
I just started making mead this year so haven't had a chance to experiment with persimmons yet, but he process you describe is what I'm hoping will work. Sounds pretty easy. I'll give it a shot in a few weeks (once we get a frost or two) and post my results.

I have access to so many of them on the family farm - I've always wanted to do something cool with them; hoping mead is the answer!

WVMJack
10-10-2016, 05:01 AM
Seeds and skins not such a problem in making wine, using cultivated persimmons we just squished them up into the primary, skin, seeds and all except that little green cap on top, with some pectinase also.

Beth641
10-10-2016, 12:15 PM
I have access to tons of native persimmons. I love the taste of them and enjoy eating them out of hand every fall. I've always wanted to do something with them, but they seem like a pain to process in large amounts. But now that I've started making mead, I wonder - any way to incorporate them into a mead?
Any tips or recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

I love too but its a difficult process

bmwr75
10-10-2016, 12:22 PM
Freeze them and then thaw and place in a coarse mesh brew bag and place them in primary using a traditional mead recipe.

Freezing them will result in you not having to mash them at all. They will break down during fermentation. Add some pectic enzyme to help with this process.

clayfarmer
10-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Freeze them and then thaw and place in a coarse mesh brew bag and place them in primary using a traditional mead recipe.

Freezing them will result in you not having to mash them at all. They will break down during fermentation. Add some pectic enzyme to help with this process.

Awesome tip, thanks!!

ckr
10-15-2016, 01:14 PM
What kinds of honey has anyone put with them or thought about trying and any ideas of say other spices or etc. you would mix with them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiverNomad
10-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Good to know. I've found two different stands of wild persimmons and was wondering what to do with them. How many lbs do you think should be used per gallon?

bmwr75
10-15-2016, 04:48 PM
I use 3-5 pounds of fruit per gallon in general.

WVMJack
10-16-2016, 06:45 AM
Persimmons are not very strongly flavored, so if you processed 10 pounds/gal, minus what is going to be lost as sediment you should be able to preserve more fruit flavor, of course you would have to take acid and astringency into account.