PDA

View Full Version : Using Ozone for preparing mead

caduseus
10-14-2016, 08:15 PM
I have not invested in O2 yet as i want to do more homework on the how and the best products to use.

In the meantime i came across a brewery in California that uses Ozone to sanitize.
I then researched and found out that within 24 hours Ozone breaks down to O2.

As i already have an ozone machine for aquarium that i use on occasion, I got to thinking.
I have spare tubing and aerator that I could use in the spring water BEFORE adding the ingredients to a recipe (after sanitizing the tubing first) and let it sit for 24 hours.

I thought this would not only sanitize the water (although not necessary), as it breaks down it would provide the water with extra saturated O2.

Any thoughts guys?

Squatchy
10-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Do you know if ozone has a flavor?

caduseus
10-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Do you know if ozone has a flavor?

A smell yes: like the kind of smell during a lightning storm. But this goes away once it becomes O2.
The ozone taste is minimal: closest i can describe is that crisp feeling with sparkling wine minus the acid burn.

zpeckler
10-14-2016, 10:43 PM
Way back in my days of working in wineries we used ozone for the same purpose. O3 has a really distinctive smell when you're using it, but I could never detect it in the final product.

jwaldo
10-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Please be careful. Ozone combines very strongly with the hemoglobin in your blood - so strongly that it does not want to let go. You run the risk of ozone poisoning. Essentially, no hemoglobin left to carry O2. Ventilation is very important.

Thanks,
Jim.

caduseus
10-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Please be careful. Ozone combines very strongly with the hemoglobin in your blood - so strongly that it does not want to let go. You run the risk of ozone poisoning. Essentially, no hemoglobin left to carry O2. Ventilation is very important.

Thanks,
Jim.

Industrial/factory grade ozone machine with machines that would take up at least half the apartment running non-stop: yes this would definitely be toxic.
The commercial ones for home use have built in safeties that keeps it from running non-stop: mine maxes out 20 minutes on/40 minutes off.
Ozone in small quantities can clarify air/water/oil. It can make drinking water actually very tasty.
I grew up drinking spring water that was ozonated (coming from Britney Spears hometown actually). My mother drank the stuff while pregnant for my brother and he did not come out with 3 arms and is quite healthy- even though B. Spears was there at the time and did not contaminate the water with her red neckish ways. LOL

Actually I have 3 aquariums, if a fish gets sick i use the ozonator to help the fish. Not only do the fish recover faster, the water is beautiful crystal clear like the aquarium was just setup. (And yes i use a different tube and different ozone stone for the must vs. the aqarium.