• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

1st time mead. Quick question.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Steved26

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2016
ok, so I decided to follow stormthecastle to make a fruit mead. I am using his 2nd method, which is add the fruit in the 2nd fermentation. now I used the 3lbs of honey, 1 package of 71b-1122 yeast. I made (2) 1 gallon batches and I did not have a hydrometer at the start. I have one now.
batch 1 was a little lighter in color than batch 2.
so I tested the sg last night which is 9 days since I started the mead.
batch 1 - came in at 1.040 which was 3lbs of honey
batch 2 - came in at 1.090 which was a little over 3lbs of honey.

now I just started the basic joes ancient orange mead last night and I tested the 3lbs of honey/water and its starting sg was 1.120 & 15% potential

so looking back at the fruit meads it seems like the fermentation is working and I am having the bubbling in the airlock..

let me know If these #'s look right?

Thanks
steve

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
More information:
1) did you use TOSNA, TiOSNA, or some other nutrients and if so what and how much?
2) how much more honey in batch 2 than 1?
3) what kind of differences other than honey went into the ingredients for the 2 batches?
4) 1 package of yeast each or did you just split one?
5) did you stir every day? if so how many times/day?
6) how did you hydrate the yeast? did you add Go-ferm? Did you atemperate or just allow the temp to slow down?
7) Did you warm the honey or just add it to the must? if you warmed what exactly did you do?
8) what fruit did you have and how much did you add?
9) Spring water i assume?

In future take hydrometer reading before you pitch the yeast

FYI: bakers yeast wont usually ferment above 12% ABV

Steved26

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2016
1. no nutrients
2. I had 2- 3lbs bottles of honey, I turned the 1st 1 upside down and what maybe an 1/8 of the 1st 3lb of honey so not a whole lot extra.
3 ??
4. each 1 gallon of mead got a full packet of the 71b-1122 yeast
5. swirled the bottle for the 1st few days ( once a day)
6. yes I hydrated the yeast in hot water and waited for about 15 minutes.
7. yes I warmed up the honey and water slightly, them waited for it to cool down before yeast was added
8. fruit will be added during the second fermentation, its was just started on 10/8
9. yes bottled spring water

yes, I now have a hydrometer, and have just started the joam which before I added the yeast it was reading at 1.120

so it seems the batch that is alittle lighter with honey is further along than the one with more honey.
thanks

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
1. no nutrients
4. each 1 gallon of mead got a full packet of the 71b-1122 yeast
8. fruit will be added during the second fermentation, its was just started on 10/8
thanks

please see : http://www.meadmaderight.com/info.html. or http://www.meadmaderight.com/tiosna--inorganic-.html

You can cut Fermaid in half if fruit is added in PRIMARY fermentation.
This is not JAOM. That recipe used raisins and a less nutrient-demanding yeast.
Different yeast-> different nutrients needed.

Steved26

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2016
ok so just an update.... I didn't have a hydrometer at the start.
bottle #1 estimated og at 1.120
10/16/16 - sg was 1.040
10/23/16 - sg was 1.020
10/30/16 - sg was 1.000

bottle #2 a little extra honey added?? og ??
10/16/16 - sg was 1.090
10/23/16 - sg was 1.064
10/30/16 - sg was 1.050

on 10/30/16 I racked them for the 2nd fermentation with the fruit in the secondary. what I am wondering is if I should have waited on bottle #2 but I figured I am adding in fruit it will ferment with the addition of sugar in the fruit..

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
If you racked bottle 2 and you left lees in the bottom and threw it away, then you threw away yeast. This means that there is less viable yeast and it's possible they will find it too difficult to complete the ferment. As far as I can think of the only reason to rack early is if you mistakenly added too much spice and you want to rack off of it or if you want to *try* halting a ferment.
I'm amazed one of those batches finished dry without nutrients in 9 days. Any other yeast and it might have stalled. Adding the whole yeast pack probably helped a lot. Maybe you were also lucky and the honey happened to be higher than usual in nutrients. Point is strongly consider adding nutrients next time. I also suspect you might have fermented this at a high temperature. I would have estimated this to take a month to ferment to dryness if your readings and estimate are correct.

Steved26

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2016
These were started on 10/8 then I took my sg readings starting on 10/16/16 so it did take almost a month. The temperature was around 70*. Yes I have been reading up on nutrients and plan to use next time. I was not patient and wanted to get it started.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns