PDA

View Full Version : A question about sanitation

m3m3lja
10-29-2016, 05:07 AM
Hi, I'm a first-time mead brewer and I have a simple question about the sanitation of hardwares.
Can I use only boiling water without sanitizer to clean those tools such as carboys, siphons, and airlocks?
Or if a sanitizer needed, what product is the best for cleaning mead stuffes?

Masbustelo
10-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Boiling water can crack carboys and is dangerous to handle. Which sanitizer is best is debatable. A common sanitizer is Star-San. It is not necessary to rinse after use. Also you can use 14-16 Campden tablets per gallon of water, and rinse afterward.

m3m3lja
10-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks!
p.s. I don't live in America, so I can't get those products in reasonable price.. That's why I was wondering about this.

pdh
10-29-2016, 09:24 AM
> I can't get those products in reasonable price

I use household bleach, as do many others. The prominent brand name here is Chlorox. It's a 5.25% solution of sodium hypochlorite, which is the active ingredient. Chlorox is available here with or without other significant additives like detergents; the basic non-enhanced version is what we generally use.

Maylar
10-29-2016, 09:56 AM
There are 2 parts of sanitation for brewing: cleaning, and killing bacteria. Cleaning can be done with the same methods you use to wash dishes - hot water and Dawn dish liquid. Rinse afterward with clean water. Sanitation, killing bacteria, gets the micro organisms that cleaning won't kill. If you can get StarSan it's highly recommended. If you end up using bleach then you'll have to rinse with boiled water afterward.

Swordnut
10-29-2016, 11:19 AM
If your equipment can handle boiling water (e.g. not made of glass) you can use a boiling water final rinse. This in conjunction with household bleach (high concentration and a minimum contact time of 5 minutes) is an effective sanitizing agent.