PDA

View Full Version : What to drink until mead is done and aged?

PDawkins
10-30-2016, 10:23 PM
OK, complete noob here. Really interested in brewing mead. Starting with JAOM, EXACTLY following the recipe. (Read enough to know that... Lol...) Anyway, since decent mead takes anywhere from 6 months (pretty short still) to multiple years to age properly, what am I supposed to drink till then? As an aside, I'm doctor diagnosed Celiac, no gluten. At this point, not too interested in gluten free beer, as I feel it would be hard(er), more expensive, and probably not worth it in the end. I've heard of "quick" and even (nearly) "instant" meads, but are they any good? Not interested in drinking low quality stuff for the sake of speed. Am I stuck buying mead from the liquor store till mine is done? I'm not a snob, it doesn't have to be a "10" to drink, but not a "1" either. What did you do when you started making mead?
Thanks for your answers in advance, and have already learned a LOT lurking here.!

zpeckler
10-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Go to www.denardbrewing.com and learn about the BOMM protocol. Makes very reliable meads that are ready to drink in only a few months.

Squatchy
10-30-2016, 11:43 PM
I don't have any problems making mead with wine yeast that are finished and ready to drink in a few months either. Of coarse any mead will taste better with some age. It's all about the process!

Maylar
10-31-2016, 09:13 AM
Cider. Now is the time, apples are everywhere. Can be ready in 5-6 weeks. Gluten free.

pdh
10-31-2016, 09:53 AM
> Cider

I'll second that! Or cyser if you want higher alcohol content.

curgoth
10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Going gluten free is what got me into mead. Search on "hydromel" or "short mead" for quick to drink, lower ABV meads. LoveOfRose (Bray of BOMM fame)'s Smreka is great, and comes together pretty quickly.

PitBull
10-31-2016, 03:11 PM
Drink some "jug wine". Then you will have an additional 4 liter carboy for making small and/or experimental batches.

PDawkins
11-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Well, looks like I won't be doing mead, or much of anything else for a while, if ever. Every time I start a new hobby, suddenly the wife says we don't have money. It's happened with countless other hobbies I've tried through the years. So, I guess I'll just sit and watch TV and dream. Sorry folks.

Squatchy
11-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Time to sell the wife :)

HeidrunsGift
11-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Once you pay for some of the equipment up front for mead, you could actually end up saving money by drinking the mead you make rather than buying store bought/bar bought alcohol. (Assuming you enjoy your mead enough that you stop buying the commercial wine/beer).

PDawkins
11-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Once you pay for some of the equipment up front for mead, you could actually end up saving money by drinking the mead you make rather than buying store bought/bar bought alcohol. (Assuming you enjoy your mead enough that you stop buying the commercial wine/beer).

It's not me that you have to convince. Those facts don't matter to her. The cheapest now is what matters to her.

beecarp
11-05-2016, 01:18 AM
My method has been to get an item or 2 at a time and look at your hobby as you would gardening. I am patient and willing to wait for things to grow, or ferment or accumulate. If you buy it all at once, then it looks like you spent a lot of money. If you accumulate it over a longer period of time, then maybe you can sneak it in and get away with it.
Another ploy is to bring home some unexpected cash from a side job. Then ask your wife what she needs. After that, another small purchase will be made.

caduseus
11-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Since he is not even allowed to do a JAOM, I suspect there is more involved then just simple finances. I work in mental health. Marital counseling may be needed.

cataclysmicvariable
12-06-2016, 12:05 PM
TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR LIFE!!!, make a special batch for her, create a special time and place for you to share a bottle. ...if all you can do is watch tv, switch that up and look for passive income options over the interwebs, i make extra dough finding items on Amazon to sell on eBay, items that i never have to touch, someone on ebay purchases an item i post their money goes into my account, i go to my wifes amazon affiliates links and purchase the item and ship it within 2 days with prime using the nifty Amazon "is this a gift" option the buyer never knows exactly how much you paid and they are happy to have it within 2 days. multiple benefits occur, i earn whatever the amount i added to the actual price of whatever item and my wife earns a percentage because i use her amazon affiliate links, therefore we are both recieving passive income. sell a couple items make a mead, follow my lead, and make money indeed. need to know how to set your wife up with an affiliate program through amazon?? well -----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedxiZXtxKo <----- this lazy stoner has tips for you. don't give up and don't become a slave to anything in your environment especially the TV dude...

zpeckler
12-06-2016, 06:43 PM
No spam or solicitation, please.