PDA

View Full Version : fruit in secondary questions

Meduseld
11-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone! Fairly new to mead making as I made my first batch about a year ago, but only in the last 2-3 months has it become an obsession :P
I am experimenting with what I plan on being a strawberry ginger mead and I plan on racking the mead on to Strawberries in secondary. However I have 2 questions that my searches have still left me uncertain about.

1.Should I use a campden tablet when I rack on to the fruit or will the alcohol content be enough to kill anything that might remain on the fruit after washing (wild yeast etc.)?
2.Any tips on racking on to frozen fruit as opposed to fresh? It is difficult for me to get good fresh strawberries right now and was planning on using frozen ones.

Recipe:
I am making this as a BOMM in a 1 gallon batch
~ 4 cups of a ginger brew made with 6oz puréed ginger and lemon zest
3lb of oaxaca honey
Spring water to reach 1 gal
¼ tsp DAP
¼ tsp K2CO3
½ tsp Fermaid K
Wyeast 1388
OG 1.12

Thanks for the help!

Squatchy
11-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The alcohol is strong enough. Especially with frozens. You can just rack onto them but it will restart fermentation and chew through the sugar in the strawberries. This will leave you with not a lot of strawberry flavor. If you want more of a fresh fruit profile you will need to stabilize first.

Meduseld
11-03-2016, 01:36 PM
That is what I thought but figured it would not hurt to check.
Thanks for the help!

Camryn64
11-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the forum.

The alcohol is strong enough. Especially with frozens. You can just rack onto them but it will restart fermentation and chew through the sugar in the strawberries. This will leave you with not a lot of strawberry flavor. If you want more of a fresh fruit profile you will need to stabilize first.
wow. good information..