PDA

View Full Version : Southern seasoning?

johnp.davenport.5
11-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Greetings all. I'm a first batch mead maker. I made 5 gals from local honey using the JOA recipe. It has been almost two months and I racked off a beautiful mead into a clean sanitized carboy. The ABV IS 15% and it has nice aroma. I would like to make it very special tasting and wondered if anyone could advise me on post flavoring. The orange can be tasted, but the cinnamon can't. Are there other flavors I can add to enhance the flavor. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pwizard
11-25-2016, 11:19 PM
Did you follow the JAOM recipe exactly, with ingredient amounts appropriately scaled up for your batch size? How much cinnamon did you add? I generally use 1 stick or less of cinnamon per gallon, depending on how much flavor I want. Cloves are good at the rate of one whole clove per gallon.

johnp.davenport.5
11-25-2016, 11:26 PM
I followed the recipe as precisely as I could. 5 sticks of cinnamon. 5 oranges. 5 cloves. Nutmeg etc.

caduseus
11-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Greetings all. I'm a first batch mead maker. I made 5 gals from local honey using the JOA recipe. It has been almost two months and I racked off a beautiful mead into a clean sanitized carboy. The ABV IS 15% and it has nice aroma. I would like to make it very special tasting and wondered if anyone could advise me on post flavoring. The orange can be tasted, but the cinnamon can't. Are there other flavors I can add to enhance the flavor. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

'Tis the season:
Have you thought about just adding pumpkin spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and sometimes allspice). Most of these ingredients are already in JAOM.
I would recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp per gallon of pumpkin spice.

jeffvenuti
11-26-2016, 01:44 AM
Hi John,
Vanilla is often thought to enhance other flavors. Try 1 bean per gallon, split in half to expose innards. Sample frequently to make sure you don't overdo it to your taste. I can't promise it will bring out the cinnamon if it's missing, but should give it a nice flavor.

You might also consider splitting your batch into 5 x 1 gallon batches and experimenting. Keep one as a control, and try other spices in the others.

Jeff

johnp.davenport.5
11-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Hi John,
Vanilla is often thought to enhance other flavors. Try 1 bean per gallon, split in half to expose innards. Sample frequently to make sure you don't overdo it to your taste. I can't promise it will bring out the cinnamon if it's missing, but should give it a nice flavor.

You might also consider splitting your batch into 5 x 1 gallon batches and experimenting. Keep one as a control, and try other spices in the others.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I like the idea of using the vanilla. Will give it a try.