• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Southern seasoning?

Barrel Char Wood Products

johnp.davenport.5

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2016
Greetings all. I'm a first batch mead maker. I made 5 gals from local honey using the JOA recipe. It has been almost two months and I racked off a beautiful mead into a clean sanitized carboy. The ABV IS 15% and it has nice aroma. I would like to make it very special tasting and wondered if anyone could advise me on post flavoring. The orange can be tasted, but the cinnamon can't. Are there other flavors I can add to enhance the flavor. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Did you follow the JAOM recipe exactly, with ingredient amounts appropriately scaled up for your batch size? How much cinnamon did you add? I generally use 1 stick or less of cinnamon per gallon, depending on how much flavor I want. Cloves are good at the rate of one whole clove per gallon.

johnp.davenport.5

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2016
I followed the recipe as precisely as I could. 5 sticks of cinnamon. 5 oranges. 5 cloves. Nutmeg etc.

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Greetings all. I'm a first batch mead maker. I made 5 gals from local honey using the JOA recipe. It has been almost two months and I racked off a beautiful mead into a clean sanitized carboy. The ABV IS 15% and it has nice aroma. I would like to make it very special tasting and wondered if anyone could advise me on post flavoring. The orange can be tasted, but the cinnamon can't. Are there other flavors I can add to enhance the flavor. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

'Tis the season:
Have you thought about just adding pumpkin spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and sometimes allspice). Most of these ingredients are already in JAOM.
I would recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp per gallon of pumpkin spice.

jeffvenuti

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2015
Bedford, MA
Hi John,
Vanilla is often thought to enhance other flavors. Try 1 bean per gallon, split in half to expose innards. Sample frequently to make sure you don't overdo it to your taste. I can't promise it will bring out the cinnamon if it's missing, but should give it a nice flavor.

You might also consider splitting your batch into 5 x 1 gallon batches and experimenting. Keep one as a control, and try other spices in the others.

Jeff

johnp.davenport.5

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2016
Hi John,
Vanilla is often thought to enhance other flavors. Try 1 bean per gallon, split in half to expose innards. Sample frequently to make sure you don't overdo it to your taste. I can't promise it will bring out the cinnamon if it's missing, but should give it a nice flavor.

You might also consider splitting your batch into 5 x 1 gallon batches and experimenting. Keep one as a control, and try other spices in the others.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I like the idea of using the vanilla. Will give it a try.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns