PDA

View Full Version : Honey starting to ferment

PapaScout
12-11-2016, 10:30 AM
This past week a friend of mine gave me 4 gallons of honey with too high water content that has started to ferment. It didn't smell too bad until I stirred it up and now I'm definitely getting a boozy weird smell from it.

It's on the stove now and I'm slowly heating it to about 180 where I'll keep it for a several hours to kill off whatever is making it ferment, burn off the alcohol, and dry out the honey.

I know this may not be salvageable which makes it kind of fun to experiment.

Any one else ever tried to recover honey like this?

Squatchy
12-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Ten minutes is all you need at 160f

PapaScout
12-11-2016, 02:01 PM
By the way, honey expands to approximately 1000 times it's original volume when heated.

bernardsmith
12-11-2016, 02:21 PM
If honey expands so much "when heated" (at what temperature?) then how do we ever successfully make bochet? I have heated honey in a crockpot at 350 F for 2 hours in my oven and the honey never overflowed the container. I don't think it expanded more than twice its original volume. But I am close to sea-level and so my experience may be very different

PapaScout
12-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Perhaps it's because the honey was fermenting? I put 4 gallons of honey in a 7 gallon pot and 3 gallons of it ended up on the floor.

Marshmallow Blue
12-12-2016, 01:04 PM
I had some honey from a generous HBT user that was a high water content. I went to use it and it was seeping out of the container. I thought the container had a crack and was seeping from there, but it was indeed fermenting. Tasted kind of winey, so I just made a batch from it.

Red Currant Sour Hydromel. (has that honey yeast as well as additional bugs).
Ready to bottle, just lazy.

I don't think it expands 1000x. I think it's closer to 2-3x. I've made a bochet at sea level (Boston) and one at the highest town east of the rockies (Bethlehem NH), no (significant) change in expansion.

I think your batch will be fine. Especially if you plan on adding extra things like fruit, spices, etc.