PDA

View Full Version : First, easy mead.

ndelaney
01-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Hello everybody! I am snowed in today and going stir crazy, went down a rabbit hole and decided I want to make some mead, hopefully with what I have on hand. I have made a handful batches of beer, so I know a little-I stress the word little!
I have plenty of honey, raisins, water and one packet of Lavlin D47. Can I make a decent batch from these ingredients? I was thinking:

4 LBs raw wildflower honey
1 gallon water
Handful of raisins
1 packet of D47

Will this work ok?

Squatchy
01-05-2017, 12:59 PM
No. Or at least not a clean ferment. Raisins are not nutrients regardless of what you may have read. You can make this if you want. But it will be hot and take a while to mellow out. If you had some bread yeast you could boil some water. Just a small amount (.5 cup), add the bread yeast (one packet) to it, let it cool, and add that. You may want to do that 2 times. Once after you see lag is over and thenn 2 days after that. Your best bet is to buy some YAN (fermaid K or Fermaid O) and feed your little ones that. You will benefit greatly

Maylar
01-05-2017, 02:21 PM
And 4 lbs of honey in one gallon is a lot.

Squatchy
01-05-2017, 03:03 PM
And 4 lbs of honey in one gallon is a lot.

Yep. 1140 or so. That's why I said raisins won't work. I hate how people think raisins are a nitrogen substitute. They read this on Bray's site and think they can make all kinds of things "with a handful of raisins" ;(
Everywhere you look people are writing that they added some frickin raisins for their food. Raisins are not food boys and girls

loveofrose
01-05-2017, 04:03 PM
They read this on my site? I think you mean JAOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brentG
01-05-2017, 04:12 PM
If you have an orange around the house you could make a JAOM without having to order nutrients or anything like that, which seems to be part of your goal. 3.5 lbs honey, "handful of raisins," an orange, cinnamon stick, a clove, and a gallon of water. Use bread yeast instead of d47 though. Many, many people make this and enjoy it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

brentG
01-05-2017, 04:17 PM
It will be sweet. I use 3 lbs instead of 3.5, and zest/juice the orange because the pith gives me heartburn (which seems to be common, judging by what I've read on here). People think raisins are nutrients because of this recipe, but it's not that cut and dry. Search JAOMv if you don't have an orange. U could probably make something decent with what u have if u have bread yeast

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Stasis
01-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Well, raisins are a nutrient source. It's just that using just a handful of raisins for any recipe is usually not enough if you're looking for a reasonable ferment