PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry. Please read

Squatchy
01-07-2017, 01:09 PM
It was brought to my attention by one of my forum friends that I have become a grumpy old man.

I wanted to take this time to apologize to any and all of you.

I'm sorry if I have offended or belittled you. My intentions are good. I just come across harsh at times.

I'm truly sorry and I hope you will forgive me if I have hurt you.

I was raised by wolfs and am still a work in progress :)

Ryan

chris.offord
01-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Speaking purely for myself here. I have read some of the replies you have left on my own post and those of some others. I appreciate when somebody 'shoots from the hip' and tells me in no uncertain terms that my idea won't work because of... or I am mistreating or ruining the good name of brewers due to x factors. I don't want to ruin an experience for myself by not following recipes or the correct procedures to create a beautiful drink. I am also very quick to let people know if I disagree with what was said or how it came across. I have found the information you have passed on to be very useful, or at least thought provoking. Thank you for your contributions to this forum Squatchy. I look forward to the next instalment of "Grumpy Old Wolf Man Saves the Newb".

Squatchy
01-08-2017, 04:00 AM
Thank you sir for the kind words!

darigoni
01-08-2017, 09:35 AM
I second Chris.O's sentiments!!

Squatchy
01-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Thanks Dave ;)

caduseus
01-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Speaking purely for myself here. I have read some of the replies you have left on my own post and those of some others. I appreciate when somebody 'shoots from the hip' and tells me in no uncertain terms that my idea won't work because of... or I am mistreating or ruining the good name of brewers due to x factors. I don't want to ruin an experience for myself by not following recipes or the correct procedures to create a beautiful drink. I am also very quick to let people know if I disagree with what was said or how it came across. I have found the information you have passed on to be very useful, or at least thought provoking. Thank you for your contributions to this forum Squatchy. I look forward to the next instalment of "Grumpy Old Wolf Man Saves the Newb".

I agree and take your comments seriously. I would descript your comments more as "blunt" than "harsh" but personally I like it so the same myself.

That said there are some newbies that say they want help but don't necessarily want to follow the advice given. I don't think you can either make those happy nor truly help them.

Squatchy
01-08-2017, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=caduseus;261700]I agree and take your comments seriously. I would descript your comments more as "blunt" than "harsh" but personally I like it so the same myself.

That said there are some newbies that say they want help but don't necessarily want to follow the advice given. I don't think you can either make those happy nor truly help them.[/QUO
I agree totally. I need to learn to not let them affect my attitude

pdh
01-08-2017, 07:08 PM
I agree and take your comments seriously. I would descript your comments more as "blunt" than "harsh" but personally I like it so the same myself.

That said there are some newbies that say they want help but don't necessarily want to follow the advice given. I don't think you can either make those happy nor truly help them.
I agree totally. I need to learn to not let them affect my attitude

Yeah; that's the hard part. I know from my mentoring attempts at work that half the stuff I say is ignored. Problem is, I never know which half until well after the fact. Don't let it get you down.

bernardsmith
01-08-2017, 07:14 PM
But being a local curmudgeon has a long and respectable history. Andy Rooney, for example.:rolleyes:

zpeckler
01-08-2017, 07:52 PM
It's not your fault the damn newbies won't buy hydrometers!

beecarp
01-08-2017, 09:17 PM
Squatchy, I never new you were old!
We are all a work in progress.

Squatchy
01-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Squatchy, I never new you were old!
We are all a work in progress.

Lol. I have grand kids who know more about making Mead than some of the experts I run into on Facebook :)

Squatchy
01-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Yeah; that's the hard part. I know from my mentoring attempts at work that half the stuff I say is ignored. Problem is, I never know which half until well after the fact. Don't let it get you down.

Thanks for the encouragement brother

Stasis
01-09-2017, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't blame it on the newbies either. Even experienced mazers become set in their ways. With so much conflicting information and misinformation I'm not surprised newbies do not automatically accept the advice we offer. Hopefully they will eventually learn on their own what is correct and what isn't. Meanwhile we try to play nice so that the advice we offer is not ignored simply because we're seen as rude.
But yeah, it's very easy to seem like a grumpy old man. I've edited or deleted numerous posts because I realize that I might be seen as grumpy or I realize there is no way for me to say what I need to say with enough emphasis without seeming rude. Sometimes I just ignore threads...

Squatchy
01-09-2017, 11:56 AM
This dawned on me yesterday. It's very hard for me to type. I cut the tips of 2 of my fingers off. Before the accident I could type pretty well. It's a slow chore now. Because it's so laborious, I don't spend the time I would otherwise to add all the niceties and color I once would have. So, because of this I come across more blunt than in person.

On another note. I really need to not bother posting on certain threads.

TXMeadGuy
01-09-2017, 11:57 AM
lol You're funny, Squatchy

Stasis
01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
No worries Squatchy :)
That happens to me when I'm sending messages from my tablet

sandman
01-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Meh... We're good. If I couldn't take a response I wouldn't post anything. I'm a big boy.

Ken2029
01-12-2017, 09:14 PM
I, for one, greatly appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions!

Squatchy
01-12-2017, 09:45 PM
You are very welcome . Thanks for the kind word

Farmboyc
01-12-2017, 10:29 PM
For the most part Squatchy I think you do a fine job.
Personally I am looking forward to becoming a grumpy old man.

Already started shaking my fist at teenagers and muttering "Damn teenagers" to myself.
:)

EvolvingCaveman
01-12-2017, 11:14 PM
I thank you for the advise that you have given me.

Squatchy
01-13-2017, 01:37 AM
Thanks to all of you who have posted here. And to all who have called me and emailed or pm'd me. Your kind words mean much.

ANeedforMead
03-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Squatchy, I'm new to this forum, but you seem to be kind of a superstar here. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Squatchy
03-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Squatchy, I'm new to this forum, but you seem to be kind of a superstar here. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Thank you for the compliment. There is lots of good info here from many different sources. If you pay to become a Patron you will have the availability to many proven recipes and a much better exposure to a higher education.

Oh. And welcome to the forum friend. :)

X-tian
03-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I'll vouch for Squatchy...he's been instrumental in steering me (and many others, I'm sure) in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caduseus
03-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'll vouch for Squatchy...he's been instrumental in steering me (and many others, I'm sure) in the right direction.

Ditto. Not only has his advice in mead making be helpful. In my humble opinion pointing us which quality reads are worth brushing up on. A good teacher does not just impart information but can also get others to learn on their own by providing the references and letting the student learn through diligent reading.

Thanks again

mannye
06-12-2017, 02:20 AM
Grumpy?? If by grumpy you mean awesome!! Then yeah!

Cmon dude. This place wouldn't be the same without you.

I'll personally stand right by your side and tell those kids to get off your lawn!!

Just as soon as I get the kids off mine. I'm getting good at throwing broken wine thieves at the little buggers.

Squatchy
06-12-2017, 07:36 AM
Grumpy?? If by grumpy you mean awesome!! Then yeah!

Cmon dude. This place wouldn't be the same without you.

I'll personally stand right by your side and tell those kids to get off your lawn!!

Just as soon as I get the kids off mine. I'm getting good at throwing broken wine thieves at the little buggers.

LOL thanks Mannye

NightWolf
06-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks to all of you who have posted here. And to all who have called me and emailed or pm'd me. Your kind words mean much.

Just to pile on here, and in a good way, ;) I can only say "Thank You!" Squatchy. You've pointed in me the right direction and while I still have more to learn, I'm certainly on the right track now due to your assistance and replies to my posts.

Squatchy
06-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Just to pile on here, and in a good way, ;) I can only say "Thank You!" Squatchy. You've pointed in me the right direction and while I still have more to learn, I'm certainly on the right track now due to your assistance and replies to my posts.

Happy to help you Night Wolf. I'm sure if you got on my profile page you can drop back and read all of my post if you cared to. Most everything anyone could think to ask has already been covered :)