• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

20yo bottle of mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

PGH

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 17, 2017
(sorry if this is posted in the wrong place)

Today I was given a bottle of mead that is apparently about 20 years old. I have not had much mead in my life, but I do like it. I was just going to sit down and enjoy it and hope it hadn't spoiled.... but I thought I should check to make sure it's not actually worth loads of money. I couldn't find any information about it online.

Picture of bottle - https://postimg.org/image/upaf8loan/

Any info is much appreciated :)

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Hard to tell without giving us more information off the label. Is there a production date written as proof of the mead's age? Information about the type of mead? Was it made by a hobbyist or by an actual winery/meadery/brewery?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
That bottle is worthless. It probably will taste terrible and you very well could get extremely sick from it. PM me and I'll give you my address so I can dispose of it properly for you :p

PGH

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 17, 2017
No proof of age on the bottle unfortunately. The person I got it from has had it in their possession the whole time so it definitely is old, but no proof :(

Squatchy - you almost had me fooled ;)

I will message the manufacturer, good idea!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns