• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

decrystallizing honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

WayneG

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2016
So, I got a bargain on 60 pounds of upstate NY honey for $150.
My local winemaker decided to cancel his plans for making mead this year.
He sold me one of his 60 pound buckets.
It has been sitting for near to a year and it is crystallized top to bottom.
I plan to transfer it into eight 1/2 gallon canning jars for easier usage.
For now, I am warming the bucket in front of my pellet stove to get the internal temp as high as I can.
If that fails to re-liquify it, then I guess moving the bucket to the sink filled with hot water is the next try.
I dont want to have to scoop the crystallized honey into the jars.
Any thoughts?
Also if anyone in upstate NY wants some of this honey, I think he will sell more.

heathd666

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 3, 2013
Indpls In
thats the way i usually get my honey as well. what i do is measeure out how much honey i want put it inside a stainless steel pot with a lid which i than place inside another stainless steel pot with about 1/4 filled with water. i heat up the water which in turn decrystalize the honey.

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
Good deal!

Speaking from experience, the pellet stove method will work, albeit slowly. Keep rotating the pail so it heats evenly and slowly. It will at least get the honey to a semi-liquid state -- enough to pour it instead of scoop it.

Another method that some beekeepers have used is to put the pail into an oven (if it fits) with the light on, and leave it for a length of time. My oven's light isn't powerful enough so I never did this -- a 60-watt bulb on a portable lamp might do the trick as well.

WayneG

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2016
The pellet stove worked! I kept rotating it and then let it sit back a ways overnight. It was still a little thick but I used a two cup measuring cup to fill the jars, 60 pounds is a lot to lift and pour to a measure.
I was surprised to find I filled ten 1/2 gallon jars to about .53 gallons each and the honey weight was only 5.75 pounds in that volume. That calculates to 10.8 pounds per gallon. Of course there was some air in there but it is still rather light. I will see what level the settle to.
I dont know what the honey source is but comparing it with store bought this is good honey!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns