• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Blending and aging

Barrel Char Wood Products

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
So there seems to be more and more talk about blending, and whilst I'm still perfecting a simple trad, there's one question about blending that is nagging me.

Is there a difference in blending say, 2 meads that have aged for a year separately and blending 2 meads that have just finished fermenting and let them age together for a year?

If we are talking about blending meads to achieve a new level in perfection then I feel there will be a preferred way.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Hey bro :)

I think most everyone around here make single, stand alone batches. I've been doing the blend thing for a while. And I like how it's going so far. And I expect time will eventually tell. It will take me some time/experience before I can speak to you question with some level of certainty. My initial thoughts how ever are this.

During long term ageing, short chains start to bind to create long chains. As well as other chemical changes that I don't even have an idea of. But, if this starts happening as soon as a blend is combined it would seem this would finish up faster, tah if two separate meads were added at the 2 year mark. Because adding the 2 at that point would begin the process as above only two years down the road. I have no idea if the final product would be the same, but I do think it would be some different. Commmon sense just seems to say this would have to be the case.

By the end of summer I may have had enough time to start to see somethings clear enough to start to begin to have some understanding.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns