PDA

View Full Version : Saving mead left on 71B

mark2215
01-31-2017, 11:28 AM
My niece made a batch of mead, 12# honey, 6 gallons water, Fermaid K, 71B. Fermented from 1.083 to 1.000. The problem is she left it for 6 months in primary. I tasted a small amount. It's not horrible but definitely has an off flavor I'm guessing from sitting on yeast so long.

I'm trying to decide if I should adopt the batch and try to save it or just let it go. My thought was to move to secondary and add some raspberry puree to mask the flavor a bit. Should I waste the money on the puree? Is there any other way to save this?

Squatchy
01-31-2017, 12:11 PM
You might just try first to rack it and gently stir a couple times over the next few days and see what that gives you first. If that helps, it might. You could try adding a little honey and see what that does. I think in general terms you can't really make something that's tainted into something very good. I guess it depends on how "off" it is.

Can you describe the off flavors?

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

Stasis
01-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Giving this the full details of the recipe would help a whole lot. Some recipes follow very old practices and this leads to mead needing to age for months and even years. It might be something like this which improves by age.
If not, it really depends on how bad the off flavor is. There are some off flavors you can definitely mask or fix, others not so much. Would you be able to somehow drink a bottle of this mead or would you prefer drinking pretty much anything else? Is it a 6/10 bad or is it a 3/10 bad? Is the mead clear?