PDA

View Full Version : Accidently used glucose syrup. Did we mess up?

Rhino_Aus
02-04-2017, 10:35 AM
Whelp!

Sooooo... The GF went out and got all the ingredient for our first batch; a ever so slightly modified ancient orange spice. In her rush to get the cheapest possible honey (Norway is expensive!) she went and got what appears to be glucose syrup + colourings and flavourings. We've made the "must" (if you can still call it that) and are ready to pitch the yeast; but is this still going to turn out as mead? Or did we just totally screw it up and need to start again?

Thanks, -R

Maylar
02-04-2017, 11:11 AM
It might ferment, but it won't be mead.

Dadux
02-04-2017, 12:03 PM
ITs not going to turn out as mead...because mead has honey and you didnt add honey. However, yeast wont complain since for them all glucose is good glucose. They will ferment it anyway unless the syrup had any sulphites or sorbate in it. If it does ferment though, it might still be good and drinkable. Not mead though. Maybe you can do a batch of mead next and mix them. Or drink it as syrup wine anyway.
My 2 cents...let it ferment and try it in a couple of months. treat it like mead, feed it nutrient, degas etc, and see how it turns out. If you used baker yeast and added enough syrup (did you measure the SG? how much syrup did you use and whats the total volume?) it will probably end up sweet and drinkable. add some spices and fruits and I bet it will be ok.

Squatchy
02-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Or you could go buy some honey and add it to make a bigger batch with honey in it.

caduseus
02-04-2017, 12:34 PM
1) I would not use bakers yeast;
2) it has to have at least 50% fermentable sugar from honey to be a mead
3) It won't ferment if it has preservatives other than salt

What is your goal? Abv? How much residual sweetness? Do you want a mead or just a fermantable beverage?