PDA

View Full Version : Old Country

Clwurster
03-08-2017, 08:46 AM
This spring I'm heading back to family roots with another couple to Europe & I'm gonna be on the look out for mead...& beer....& spirits....but especially mead. Will be in Germany, Czech Republic, & Austria for sure, but the list my grow. Yes I know, Germany = beer & Czech especially=beer since the Czechs drink more beer than anywhere else in the world, but I've seen some blogs of travelers mentioning mead being served. Traveled Italy last year but no mead. Anybody here who lives over there know if I'll have some success? Thanks all

Dadux
03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Im not from there but search the web if you want to find good mead sold in stores. Since those countries are close to poland, if you can get your hands in some Jadwiga from APIS or any other kind of Dwojniak, I'd recommend you to do so. Its unlikely any normal place will sell them but you can try specialized (and by that i mean "fancy") liquor/wine/beer stores or big honey comercial shops. Anyway, beware any weird homeproduced meads those (honeystores) sell you. Here in spain i've been told the ones commercially sold are usually terrible. Tried two and both were really dissapointing.
They also serve mead in many metal bars, here at least, but be carefull they are usually shots (if its the good stuff) or the bad stuff/mixed honey whisky. You can find it, but most likely you wont have a good wine-glass of mead.

Clwurster
03-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the good info

Clwurster
03-08-2017, 05:52 PM
googled mead in prague & found this-www.meadmuseum.com & its a 3 minute walk from the apartment we will be at for a week. Gonna be a good week:o

Dadux
03-08-2017, 06:02 PM
googled mead in prague & found this-www.meadmuseum.com & its a 3 minute walk from the apartment we will be at for a week. Gonna be a good week:o

Saint Google solves all doubts
Buy in bulk!

Clwurster
03-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Yea I bought in bulk in italy at too many wineries but it is fun to pop open a bottle at dinner & remember the the fun times. I've got Formentera on my bucket list to hit in the next couple of years. I may have to tap you for travel tips. Wasail!!