PDA

View Full Version : First batch of -newb question.

ndelaney
03-11-2017, 04:26 PM
I made my first batch of JAOM and followed the recipe to a T. I did not have a hydrometer at the time so I did not get a starting gravity reading. It has been sitting for 9 weeks, it is very clear but the fruit has not fallen. I took a gravity reading and it is 1.007 and taste pretty darn good. Should I go ahead and rack it to a secondary at this point? Should I bottle it at this point?
Thanks in advance for any help.

caduseus
03-11-2017, 07:30 PM
I would rack. But I don't do much JAOM. It ha s most likely fermented as much as it can as it is only bread yeast and not a wine/ale/lager yeast.

Squatchy
03-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Doesn't it say all over to follow directions?

darigoni
03-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Most of my fruit never dropped either. 1.007 actually sounds a little lower than what I would have expected, as a JAOM is supposed to be sweet, to offset the bitterness of the pith. Rack or bottle. It's your choice at this point. Just remember that while it may "taste pretty darn good", it should get better with age. So don't drink it all at once :-)

caduseus
03-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Most of my fruit never dropped either. 1.007 actually sounds a little lower than what I would have expected, as a JAOM is supposed to be sweet, to offset the bitterness of the pith. Rack or bottle. It's your choice at this point. Just remember that while it may "taste pretty darn good", it should get better with age. So don't drink it all at once :-)

I agree.

While my meads are drinkable at 4-8 weeks I won't do it because I don't think they are "good enough".

If you just let it age it will taste better in time.