• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I have the weirdest BOMMer right now...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Drewed

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2017
S.E Wisconsin
I am attempting to make another BOMM, I have achieved the weirdest color. Sort of a muddy dark brown. I followed the recipe from Denard Brewing exactly, as I want to compare the flavor of the new honey I bought to the old. Not sure what is up with the color. These were taken within 5 min of pitching the yeast. All the nutrients and KHCO3 have been added.

This is before the final shaking. As you can see the honey has settled a bit. The honey and water seems to have turned color pretty fast. Could it be the KHCO3? It is sitting next to a Wyeast sweet mead for reference (different type of honey)

Here is another shot. This is with out the flash, and a white piece of paper for reference.

And this one is just to "brag." I love the color of the cherry mead on the end. Wow, I really got to get on painting the 1970's out of that paneling.....

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
It looks like you got a darker honey this time. KHCO3 has no potential to color change anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewed

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2017
S.E Wisconsin
The odd thing is that it was "normal" light color honey in the bottle. I'm not overly worried, it is just "Odd."

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
The odd thing is that it was "normal" light color honey in the bottle. I'm not overly worried, it is just "Odd."

Was it any type of import honey? China mixes a variety of chemicals with a fructose glucose and sucrose syrup to make fake honey. Some of the added compounds may have reacted to the potassium or nutrients. Just a wild option
Or maybe did you heat the honey? Sometimes ive seen honeys go darker after someone putting them in the microwave to de cristalize them. When they cooled they got darker.

Drewed

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2017
S.E Wisconsin
It shouldn't. I bought it from the bee keeper at a local farmers market. Not saying farmer Fred isn't shifty like that.....

Honey wan't heated. Just dumped in the jug and water/ nutrients/ and shook.

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
The color is not to far off from mine ... I used my own late summer - fall honey. it's more dense and robustly flavored and and as you have experienced, darker. (can't upload pic or i'd show you about the same color with my batch).

did you taste/smell the honey? for the later honey harvests, you might find a light molasses smell to it a heavy caramelized smell. depend on late season nectar sources. buckwheat comes to mind.

I think what you received was his late stock ... it can have a higher sugar content and tends to crystalize quicker.

oh ... wait .... you said the honey was "light" in the bottle.... yes, that is a bit odd.

hmmm.....

-T

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns