PDA

View Full Version : Water quality

JokersVengeance
03-24-2017, 02:25 AM
Just a quick question has anyone used or herd of anyone useing fresh stream water for there meads in my research of homebrewing in general i found that a lot of the old moonshines used fresh clean stream water to get a better quality shine i was wondering if this would be the same with a mead or would there be to much risk of contaminants

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dadux
03-24-2017, 05:02 AM
Never did. I would give it a try. If you think it may contain some bacteria or something, boil the water for 5 minutes.
Unless the water contains heavy metals with boiling you'll be safe. So basically if you would drink it, use it

Shelley
03-24-2017, 07:03 AM
If you live anywhere remotely populated, there is, a huge risk of contaminants (http://www.futurity.org/micropollutants-water-suspect-screening-1349972-2/) from most stream water these days, and not just bacteria but pharmaceuticals, pesticides, fertilizers, personal care products, fracking waste (depending on where you live)...

A lot of these are micro-contaminants, so you'll never notice them. But I'll bet the old moonshiners didn't have these in their water.

JokersVengeance
03-24-2017, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the tips i know of a place deep in the bush with a beautiful little stream the water is always year round ice cold and it is the best tasting water i have tasted i was thinking of harvesting some to try in a mead at some stage i will do a lot more area background research i think and if i decide to try this i will do full recipe and post details

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk