• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Questions regarding Cap Management/secondary fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

DaTruYugo

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 1, 2017
Hello everybody,

This is my first mead that I've made, let me give you the run down and hopefully somebody can answer my questions and/or point me in the right direction!

Started with:

6 Gallon carboy\22 Litres
5kg of honey from a local family friend that is a bee keeper (not pasteurized)
1 packet of wine yeast
Tap water that was boiled then let out to cool and i mixed it with water and added it to the carboy

That was the first fermentation that lasted just over 8 weeks. The bubbling in the airlock was at this point about every 15-20 seconds.

I syphoned the mead for the second round of fermentation using using gauze, tube, and a funnel.

Second fermentation:

4.75L Citrus mead (squeezed 3 oranges and 1 lemon)
4.1L Raspberry mead (removed any high quality raspberries and mushed them up with a fork so that it turned into a paste pretty much)
3L plain old honey mead
The rest was syphoned into another large 5-6gallon carboy with one blended pineapple.
The leftover pineapple mead ended up being approximately 11-12 litres.

I did not add any additional yeast/energizer/nutrients to the sealed carboys.
The alcohol content of the mead is current 2.5-3% alcohol from what I can tell during the reading...its not what I wanted but it is my first time so I don't mind!

Should I go back and add any of the above ingredients?

Will the fermentation continue and increase the alcohol content from the sugars in the fruits?

Will I have to worry about cap management/must/CO2 explosion? (I think this is only the case for the raspberry one since its the only one that actually has a thick layer of still mushy/solid fruit...

Thanks for all the help!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns