PDA

View Full Version : Another Stuck Fermentation

Doulio
04-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Greetings All!

I've read through loads of posts about stuck fermentation and keep finding something I can try differently, but am starting to run out of ideas. I'm on my 5th batch and every single batch keeps getting stuck around the 2/3 break, resulting in meads stuck around 7%. Here is the latest recipe and daily updates:

3 Pounds Carrot Blossom Honey
Add water to 1 gallon

Rehydrate Lalvin K1V-1116 (1 packet-10 grams) into 125ml of water with 6.25 grams of GoFerm. Let sit for half an hour before adding to cooled must.

Day 0: SG: 1.095 (target FG-1.015)
Day 1: 1.090, aerated in AM and aerated + added 1.13 grams Fermaid-O in PM
Day 2: 1.085, aerated in AM and aerated + added 1.13 grams Fermaid-O in PM
Day 3: 1.077, aerated in AM and aerated + added 1.13 grams Fermaid-O in PM
Day 4: 1.066, aerated in AM and aerated + added 1.13 grams Fermaid-O in PM

1/3 break

Day 5: 1.056, aerated once in PM
Day 6: 1.048, aerated once in PM
Day 7: 1.041, aerated once in PM

2/3 break

Day 8: 1.040, no aeration
Day 9: 1.040, no aeration
Day 10: 1.040, no aeration

So it seems like everything goes great until I stop aerating, but pretty much everything I come across says to stop aerating at the 2/3 break and to stop adding nutrients at the 1/3 break.

Gravity is being read by a refractometer in case that makes any difference.
Aerating with a sanitized wire whisk.
Fermenting in a 2 gallon bucket, covered with a double layer of extra fine cheese cloth (sanitized) with a rubber band to keep out unwanted guests.

The main thing I haven't tried is making a yeast starter. From what I could gather, it's argued that a starter isn't necessary for dry yeast. I'm comfortable giving that a try if it's thought it would make the difference, but it seems like people must be able to get it to work using dry yeast without a starter. Would love to hear thoughts and recommendations, as well as potential advice for getting fermentation going again with this batch.

Cheers!

Ryan