• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Trouble identifying a strange flavor

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
This is sort of related to mead. Was drinking a wine last night which had a very strange flavor that I could only taste on the back of the roof of my mouth. I have tasted this once before when drinking some homemade beer made by a neighbor and that was the first time in my life that I had ever experienced tasting with the roof of my mouth. Last night makes only the second time.

Has anyone else ever experienced this distinctive flavor? I can't say it was good. I also can't describe it since I've only experienced it twice. The wine was really strange with tastes of limes and sour apples. It was also carbonated. It was a commercial wine from Arkansas. Arkansas has some really good wine and it also has some really offbeat wines. This one was from the offbeat collection. The varietal is unknown. It's just labeled "Spumante."

homoeccentricus

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2014
This is sort of related to mead. Was drinking a wine last night which had a very strange flavor that I could only taste on the back of the roof of my mouth. I have tasted this once before when drinking some homemade beer made by a neighbor and that was the first time in my life that I had ever experienced tasting with the roof of my mouth. Last night makes only the second time.

Has anyone else ever experienced this distinctive flavor? I can't say it was good. I also can't describe it since I've only experienced it twice. The wine was really strange with tastes of limes and sour apples. It was also carbonated. It was a commercial wine from Arkansas. Arkansas has some really good wine and it also has some really offbeat wines. This one was from the offbeat collection. The varietal is unknown. It's just labeled "Spumante."
You are not giving a lot of information. The flavor of unripe green apples? Then it would be acetaldehyde.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
Sorry. There's not a lot to give. I don't know the grape. The winery does not list it on their website.

I should have use a different title for the thread. I'm not so much looking for a name for the flavor as I am curious if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Sorry. There's not a lot to give. I don't know the grape. The winery does not list it on their website.

I should have use a different title for the thread. I'm not so much looking for a name for the flavor as I am curious if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

ITs difficult to tell because you are not describing the flavour either.
Sour? Acid? Sweet? does it resemble something else (or even how you think something will taste)? Ex: does it taste like bacon? does it taste how you think nail polish would taste?
If you dont give any reference at all, the only thing i can say, its probably yeast/fermentation or spoilage related since you tasted it in beer and wine. And no, i've never had weird flavours in the roof of my mouth that come to mind... but apart from that im clueless. Could be any chemical or byproduct...

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I will be having another glass tonight, after which, I will report back.

Thanks!

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I think it has aired out over night, so it is less pronounced. I would call it the taste of rubber bands.

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
I think it has aired out over night, so it is less pronounced. I would call it the taste of rubber bands.

Band aid flavour is something common from fermentations with brettanomyces. Maybe something like that? Brett is used in some beers and in wines it happens unintetionally

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns