PDA

View Full Version : Carbonating questions

fugtruck
04-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Greetings everyone. I am planning to carbonate a batch of mead and I'm confused about a few things.

First, I've read people say that you should add some additional yeast along with the priming sugar at bottle time in case there isn't enough healthy yeast in the mead. Is there a way to measure whether there is enough yeast to carbonate without having to add more? I don't have kegging equipment so I can't force carbonate.

Also, if I am planning to carbonate, should I only rack once so as to not lose anymore yeast, or will it be ok to rack a 2nd time?

As an FYI, I am making a 2 gallon batch with 6 lbs of honey and Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. Any tips or suggestions are most appreciated.

JamesMTH
04-18-2017, 12:42 PM
You can rack it a few times. As long as you do not filter it you should be fine.

To test it you can just add a small amount of a sugar source and see if you get any Airlock activity over a few days. If you do then you "should" have enough yeast still alive to bottle carbonate.

Also compare the yeast tolerance to your current ABV. If you are at or over the tolerance then you might want to pitch some yeast in anyway.
EC-1118 has a high tolerance (18%) so again you "should" be OK.

JamesMTH
04-18-2017, 01:00 PM
What is your batch volume, carbonation level, and highest temp ithe Mead has been since fermentation ended?

fugtruck
04-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Fermentation is still occurring (I just pitched this last Friday). I was just planning ahead. It's a 2 gallon batch, and highest temperature so far has been 72 degrees and I expect it to stay at that temp.

JamesMTH
04-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Whats your expected ABV? Or your starting gravity?

Stasis
04-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Whats your expected ABV? Or your starting gravity?

In the first post it was stated that it's a 2 gallon batch and 6lbs of honey so that should be an SG of 1.108 or 14.13%abv according to the gotmead calculator. The actual Sg might have been slightly different but for sure it's nowhere near the 18% abv tolerance of Ec-1118.

I would wait for the batch to end. If the mead does not finish dry the yeast have pooped out because of unfavourable conditions. You'd have to find the reason why it stalled early before adding more yeast to restart the ferment. If the yeast struggled a great deal before finishing the ferment to dryness you might also want to pitch new yeast since you can't rely on them fermenting the priming sugar and you might end up with some bottles carbonating rather well and others not.