PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here, First Mead Test!

RJ_
05-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Totally new to mead making, and after tons of research I started a micro test today ....

Some of this may sound blasphemous to seasoned mead makers but I work within my means and do things on the cheap as much as possible

My Recipe and process for this first micro batch
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fermenter - 32oz gatorade bottle , cap drilled to hold airlock

3/4lb store bought wildflower honey

3/8 cup granulated sugar (added to get SG up to where I wanted it)

20 raisins roughly chopped

Filtered water to full, leaving roughly an inch of head space

1/4 packet Bread yeast
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started by slightly heating water, and honey to dissolve, then let cool back to room temp.

Checked SG and wanted it higher so I added sugar 1/8 of a cup at a time and dissolving then rechecking gravity ( as stated above it took 3/8 cup of sugar to get where I wanted it)

Gravity reading was between 1.080 -1.090 (still learning how to read this thing)

Shook the life out of it all then added the raisins and 1/4 pack of yeast and re-shook lightly to mix them in.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this at least sound like it will make an ok test to get an idea of what I'm doing before I start trying it on a larger scale?

caduseus
05-08-2017, 03:56 PM
no.
Unless you are a doing a Joe s Ancient orange mead- which this is not the recipe- this was no well done at all.
Read the newbee guide.
Watch meadology series on youtube.
Then come back with questions