• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

White wine like mead with a dry/citrusy finish

Barrel Char Wood Products

Vicomancer

NewBee
Registered Member
Hi! Complete newbie here, so I've recently moved to Finland with my girlfriend (she's Finnish) and right about this time of year they have a lovely festival called valborgsmessoafton or vappen, anyway there's this beverage that is made called mjöd (which is mead in swedish) however it is made with little honey and is not very strong (tastes good though) so in the spirit of the holiday I made a batch, and discovered the joys of brewing, anyway getting to my point, my girlfriend likes dry citrus white wines and I was wondering if a complete newbie like myself could attempt a mead with these characteristics, and if so what would be the best method.
And I will be trying the famous Joe's ancient orange, but I fear I'm might finish a bit sweet for my girlfriend.

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Thank god another person who likes dry mead. Please never leave these forums!
Yes you can.
read the newbee guide on here and the meadology series on youtube.
Most on here like it sweet but you can make a great dry mead.
Sweet covers up minor flaws so it does take more work to get it right if it is dry but it is doable.

philodice

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2017
Yes, a good dry wine with those notes requires some almost daily attention for the first few weeks in degassing, staggered nutrient feeding, and temperature monitoring in order to produce a beverage that won't need to be aged for a year before you try it. You can take days off from mead monitoring duty after it is six weeks old or so.
Listen to the guides, and the amazing help of the great people on this board.
Learn before you pitch a batch with super expensive honey. Try a couple 1 gallon goes before getting a bigger jug.
I just graduated to a three gallon carboy, and I consider my brewing chamber to be one of my pets, just like my Kombucha tanks.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns