PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete fermentation

fugtruck
05-03-2017, 12:39 PM
On 11/12/16, I started a batch of mead. The recipe I used was as follows:

18 lbs Orange Blossom honey
Lalvin D-47 yeast
Water to fill 5 gallons
4 day nutrient schedule (not sure what nutrients, just whatever was in the kit).
OG: 1.122

For the first 6 weeks, it was sitting at around 60 degrees F and fermentation was going VERY slow. So I warned it up to 68-70 degrees and let it set for another 6 weeks. At that time, SG was 1.041. I went ahead and racked it to secondary.

Two days ago, I took a gravity reading and SG was still at 1.041. Per the kit instructions, FG should be around 1.020-1.022. So, looks like fermentation completely stopped.

Would it be a good idea to pitch some new yeast to complete fermentation? I do plan to check the ph level of the mead first and correct if it is too high or low. Also, if I do pitch more yeast, should I rack again first to get it off the current sediment layer, or just pitch as is?

Squatchy
05-09-2017, 12:08 AM
It won't ever be too high. If it drops below 3.0 you will need to bring the pH up some. It may start back up if that's the reason and you get it up.

caduseus
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM
It won't ever be too high. If it drops below 3.0 you will need to bring the pH up some. It may start back up if that's the reason and you get it up.

If you raise pH use potassium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate.
Calcium carbonate (chalk) can leave a residual taste. I hear it is used alot for beers and may be fine for that- but not for meads.