PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Suggestion Please

Kody_Wulfe
06-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Hey gang,

I am looking for a recipe that uses Star Anise.... anyone have one??

Thanks,

Kody

Firestix
06-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Hey gang,

I am looking for a recipe that uses Star Anise.... anyone have one??

Thanks,

Kody
Wedding Dwojniak BOMM
Https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Weddingbomm/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dadux
06-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Being that specific...I mean...

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?searchid=242861

:book1:

(In case its not clear this is my sarcastic way of saying "have you even bothered to search...? because if you have i dont understand what you are asking")

Kody_Wulfe
06-27-2017, 10:37 PM
I do not want to sound sarcastic.. but I took your reply to mean.. am I too lazy to search before I ask.. and asking for a recipe that has Star Anise came up.. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Copied from Gotmead.com - Read More at:http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?searchid=242861

Of course I searched.. and what is NOT TO UNDERSTAND.. does anyone have a recipe that uses Star Anise.. I guess that is a complicated issue.. so lets try this..

Does anyone know of a recipe who is willing to share that uses Honey, water and star anise as ingredients... is that less confusing???

Kody

Kody_Wulfe
06-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Thanks Firestix... nice recipe...

Kody

Dadux
06-28-2017, 05:17 AM
I do not want to sound sarcastic.. but I took your reply to mean.. am I too lazy to search before I ask.. and asking for a recipe that has Star Anise came up.. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Copied from Gotmead.com - Read More at:http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?searchid=242861

Of course I searched.. and what is NOT TO UNDERSTAND.. does anyone have a recipe that uses Star Anise.. I guess that is a complicated issue.. so lets try this..

Does anyone know of a recipe who is willing to share that uses Honey, water and star anise as ingredients... is that less confusing???

Kody

Well the link seems invalid. But i still type "star anise" on the search box and get 140 results. I asked because maybe you wanted a recipe thar ONLY used star anise. Because a bunch of threads from the mead log pop up in the search so there are definitely quite a lot of recipes were star anise is used.

I dont have any recipes myself with it, but i just looked and as i said i got lots of results

bernardsmith
06-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Hi Kody, Don't have a recipe per se but anything that uses liquorice might be enhanced with some Star Anise. I made a juniper mead to the following recipe - sorta kinda mead analog of gin:

For one gallon

2 lbs orange blossom honey
2 T juniper berries
1 cinnamon stick
1 T cardamon pods
1 T coriander seeds
1 T all-spice
1/2 nutneg (grated)
4 very black bananas with skins (sliced)
Boiled spices and bananas in water 40 minutes to make a tea
Allowed tea to cool
Strained tea
Blended tea with OB honey in blender to aerate.
Pitched WLP 515 yeast
1 T Fermaid O (after fermentation had begun) - (I don't use the TOSNA protocol)

Fermented dry - 0.098 (about 7 days)
Racked to secondary
Added 3 T juniper berries (about 20 beans) - steeped about 10 days.
Added
1 T lemon extract, 1 T liquorice extract, and 1 T star anise before bottling
6 weeks was ready for drinking (good mouthfeel, perception of sweetness, very drinkable).

The extracts are all home made using about 1/2 C of spice or lemon peel to 8 oz of vodka steeped for about 1 month
Started 3/1/17 ; bottled 4/5/17; Opened 4/21/17

Kody_Wulfe
06-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Thanks Benard.....

Firestix.... try to resend that message...my inbox was full of condemnations after my post...

Kody