PDA

View Full Version : Racking to Secondary Questions

max.barbarian
07-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Okay, so I know this is likely redundant, but is there a set point where one racks their batch over to a secondary? In Schramm's text he mentions 2 weeks, which I did for my first batch:

1 Gallon
3 lbs Clover Honey
1 packet Lalvin 71B-1122
0.4 tsp yeast nutrient (food grade urea, diammonium phosphate)
0.2 tsp yeast energizer (diammonium phosphate again, springcell, magnesium sulphate)

I was a total Newbee and did this without a hydrometer (I have one now that I've been using for the past couple of batches so don't bash me too hard).

Anyways, I let this batch sit in the primary, waited for the fermentation to slow, then racked over to a secondary (both primary and secondary are one-gallon glass carboys) approximately two weeks later. I bottled after a halt in visible fermentation activity two weeks after the first racking once it had clarified nicely. I was curious, and cracked open a bottle to try and it was definitely not a still mead. I have campden tablets but wasn't sure how to use them, and being slightly crunchy-granola, I figured I'd leave out extra chemicals.

Should I be worried about the other bottles from that first batch with the inadvertent carbonation?

With my subsequent two batches, I've used the same recipe, but took SG readings for both (1.20). Those two are sitting in their primaries still, on top of the lees-- one has been sitting for about a month, and the other for about 2 weeks. Should I rack the first over to a secondary to get it off the lees and avoid potential off-notes? There's no airlock activity, but it still has bubbles every now and again rising to the surface of the must.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any tips!

Squatchy
07-03-2017, 11:39 PM
In the future you will always want to keep your yeast roused in suspension. Letting them pile up on the bottom leads to the off flavors everyone wants to avoid. If you do this, (and you have not had a stinky batch from underfeeding your yeast) you will do better by allowing the yeast to stay in your vessel for a few weeks after you have stabilized your mead . Once you have done this you can cold crash your mead for a week or so in the fridge and then rack. This will leave behind a good deal of the stuff you don't want ageing in your vessel.

Big chance your bottles could explode. Keeping them in a cold fridge will halt any further fermentation. How much fizz came when you opened the bottle? What is the gravity of the mead in the bottles?

Throw away the Urea. Better nutrients can be had. Fermaid-O, Fermaid-K, and Go-ferm are so much better. Search here and you will find tons of info and welcome to the forum :)

Mountain View
07-04-2017, 08:25 AM
I am new to mead making and have been following TOSNA 2.0 and have been fermenting at 60F. I am only making 1/2 gallon batches. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it important to keep the yeast roused in suspension by agitating everyday after 1/3 sugar break with this protocol?

2. After racking into secondary is it necessary to maintain the temperature at 60F or will room temperature, currently 75F be OK ?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

darigoni
07-04-2017, 08:42 AM
With my subsequent two batches, I've used the same recipe, but took SG readings for both (1.20).

I'm assuming that an SG=1.20 is either a typo or you are still figuring out how to use a hydrometer? When you say SG, is this your OG (original gravity) or you final gravity? If it's your original gravity, then you probably meant 1.120, if it's your final gravity then you probably meant 1.020.

Squatchy
07-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Always rouse your yeast until you want it to drop out prior to racking. Room temperature is fine now. Actually, room temps are ok once you move beyond the growth phase. But I still keep the temps controlled until fermentation ends

darigoni
07-04-2017, 08:49 AM
I am new to mead making and have been following TOSNA 2.0 and have been fermenting at 60F. I am only making 1/2 gallon batches. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it important to keep the yeast roused in suspension by agitating everyday after 1/3 sugar break with this protocol?

2. After racking into secondary is it necessary to maintain the temperature at 60F or will room temperature, currently 75F be OK ?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

In the future, its' always best to include more info about what you are doing; recipe, aeration/stirring, time frame. Any and all info will help us answer your questions.

1. It's good to stir and degas (but not aerate) until the fermentation is complete (use a hydrometer to decide when it's done, not bubbles). Once fermentation is done you should continue to stir, to keep the lees suspended, for another 2 to 4 weeks, then let settle, cold crash and rack.

2. Once fermentation is complete (use your hydrometer). Temperature is no longer relevant.

Oh, and always more polite to start your own thread/post, than to hijack someone elses. :-)

max.barbarian
07-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Big chance your bottles could explode. Keeping them in a cold fridge will halt any further fermentation. How much fizz came when you opened the bottle? What is the gravity of the mead in the bottles?

Throw away the Urea. Better nutrients can be had. Fermaid-O, Fermaid-K, and Go-ferm are so much better. Search here and you will find tons of info and welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome! I hope they don't explode! There wasn't much fizz-- I'm using Grolsch style 16-oz. bottles, and I got a "pop" when I opened one. Once in a glass, there were a few subtle bubbles here and there. I take it a Campden tablet to stabilize in the future would help avoid this? I don't really have much room with roommates sharing the refrigerator to do any cold-crashing. Also, what's better about the Fermaid products?

I'm assuming that an SG=1.20 is either a typo or you are still figuring out how to use a hydrometer? When you say SG, is this your OG (original gravity) or you final gravity? If it's your original gravity, then you probably meant 1.120, if it's your final gravity then you probably meant 1.020.

Yeah, I mis-typed and meant 1.120 for my OG. I haven't taken any further readings with the two batches yet. Any actual advice other than proofreading for me? Like, how often should I be taking these readings during the fermentation? I'm going to rack over one gallon batch today and take another reading to see how it compares.

caduseus
07-08-2017, 12:30 PM
NEVER ever put urea in your must- would you piss in your must? Because this is essentially what you are doing.

Follow meadmaderight. Minimize DAP as much as possible. Take SG readings daily the first week at least. Monitor temps