PDA

View Full Version : question about batch size

Skyfall
07-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Hello I'm new here and completely new to brewing my main reason for wanting to make my own mead is.. Well.. Skyrim.. Anyways I saw a rather simple recipe on the web the other day but its for 3 gallons and as this is my very 1st go I was looking to make maybe 2-3 litres my question is can I simply downscale the recipe exactly? Eg. Insted of 1 galon water 1 gallon honey one I use 1litre of honey over 1 litre of water, or is it more complicated than that

darigoni
07-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Hello I'm new here and completely new to brewing my main reason for wanting to make my own mead is.. Well.. Skyrim.. Anyways I saw a rather simple recipe on the web the other day but its for 3 gallons and as this is my very 1st go I was looking to make maybe 2-3 litres my question is can I simply downscale the recipe exactly? Eg. Instead of 1 gallon water 1 gallon honey one I use 1litre of honey over 1 litre of water, or is it more complicated than that

Yes, scaling recipes is just that, dividing by 3 or 4 or whatever final quantity you want to end up with. Although, I don't know of to many recipe that use one gallon of water per one gallon of honey. That would be fairly sweet! :-) But if you are talking about ratios, then yes, it can be scaled down that way.

It's really best if you post the recipe and get some feedback.

Dadux
07-12-2017, 08:39 AM
As dagorini said its better if you post the recipe.

Or go with a JAOM. Simplest recipe on earth.
I would not recommend following recipes that are not from this forum because a lot of them are outdated or pretty bad.

Squatchy
07-12-2017, 09:39 AM
I'm not at all throwing stones here. But I realized immediately, that for me, it was ridiculous to make a gallon of something and wait for several months (back then anyway) and drink it all in one or two settings. Depending on how many were seated. I went to three gallon batches and they also turned into "too small" in very short order.

If you ever want to have some stuff to drink that has been aged. You will need to make enough that by default it has a chance to sit long enough, because you make enough that you can't/won't drink it all before it ages. I read all the time how people's batches have been swallowed up before it was even a handful of months old.

Skyfall
07-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for your help, I immediatly looked up the JAOM recipe and it seems pretty simple.. So I will attempt making some of that one more question though. Do you HAVE to use a glass carboy or can you use a plastic one?

Dadux
07-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Thank you all for your help, I immediatly looked up the JAOM recipe and it seems pretty simple.. So I will attempt making some of that one more question though. Do you HAVE to use a glass carboy or can you use a plastic one?

Follow the recipe to the letter.
Plastic is ok. I prefer plastic buckets. Get one made from food grade plastic. Or water bottles work too, the ones of 6l are great for begginers. Just put a pricked ballon on the top and you got yourself a fermenter

darigoni
07-12-2017, 11:25 AM
There's a good Meadology series, on YouTube. Episode one shows making a mead, using the plastic jug that the spring water was packaged in.

https://youtu.be/oODPBYXqfjk

I suggest you watch at least the first two episodes and, if you decide to make more mead, the entire series.

dingurth
07-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Many people just use the jug that the water comes in from the grocery store. If you're using something else, just be sure its new and only use it once.