• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

8-29-17 Ryan Carlson - Oaking Your Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
8-29-17 Tonight we're talking with Ryan Carlson (known as Squatchy on the Gotmead Forums). Ryan has been making mead for quite a while now. And along the way, he's learned quite a bit as well. And one of the things he's been talking about a lot lately is oaking mead. Oak in mead can add a ton of complexity and depth, and the methods, time and type of oak make a difference. [ 338 more words ]

http://gotmead.com/blog/gotmead-live/8-29-17-ryan-carlson-oaking-mead/

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Great job last night Squatchy! A lot of great information. I guess I'm going to have to finally break down and read your "Wood Management" post! :)

I think I got the last question in, which was "where does a relatively new mead maker start", without getting lost in the all the information? Maybe you could repeat it here, for others?

I look forward to the coming weeks.

Thanks.

dave

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So at the most basic levels. Lower toast are sweeter and will mostly add vanilla, caramel, and perceived sweetness. It will also add some creamy mouthfeel.This is a great place to start.

American Oak in medium or light will do this nicely. It will also add more nose than the others. If you want to add a lot of complexity and spicey type flavors, go to french, med or med+.

Hungarian does a lot with the tactile piece, grip, backbone, astringency. Higher level hungarian will add leather, cigar box and pepper notes.

Hope that helps

NightWolf

NewBee
Registered Member
May 1, 2017
NJ
Great informative show Ryan! I learned a ton and now am headin out to replace my chips with spirals or cubes. :)

-Ron

Reactions: Squatchy

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Great informative show Ryan! I learned a ton and now am headin out to replace my chips with spirals or cubes. :)

-Ron

Hi Ron. I'm glad you enjoyed the show. And I'm also glad to hear that you're taking my advice and getting rid of those crappy chips. I know without a doubt you will enjoy the spirals and cubes a million times over the chips.

HeidrunsGift

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Ryan! Glad you were able to do that segment, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but am looking forward to it. Regarding Hungarian oak, have you found a place online that sells Hungarian oak staves? Morewine sells Hungarian cubes (inferior to staves in my opinion) and there are tons of places that sell Hungarian barrels (which I have not started to use yet), but no staves/segments.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Hey Ryan! Glad you were able to do that segment, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but am looking forward to it. Regarding Hungarian oak, have you found a place online that sells Hungarian oak staves? Morewine sells Hungarian cubes (inferior to staves in my opinion) and there are tons of places that sell Hungarian barrels (which I have not started to use yet), but no staves/segments.

When I have some time (soon, I hope) I will try to find some. I don't have a source right now

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver

Here ya go Charlie,, http://www.stavin.com/dosage-rates

Boneflower

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 16, 2018
Where’s the “paper” that goes with the oak show? I can’t see it here or on the blog

Kamabnogs

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2019
Panama
8 29 17 Ryan Carlson Oaking Your Mead

there were only 3 made afaik, so unless you live in Scotland where apparently it was shown a week later than most Last nights was the last one:/

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns